Long Time Henna User, Want To Try Indigo

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Eldie222
Long Time Henna User, Want To Try Indigo

Hello.  I've been using henna on my naturally curly dark brown, lower back length hair (starting to get quite a few white, not gray hairs, also).  In the beginning I didn't know to just do my roots, so I did a lot of full henna treatments (always with amla).  I have only done it about every 4 months for the past 5 years (just to give an idea of the amount of henna that's in my hair).

Lately I have been thinking I want to try out jet black hair, and know that indigo is the way to go, but I have a few questions:

1)  If I recently touched up my roots with henna (in the last week), can I simply apply indigo directly to my hair, or does the henna application have to be directly before the indigo application?

2) How is indigo with grey/white hair coverage?  The henna coverage is fairly good, it makes them a bright red and definitely not white.

3)  What is the best way to go about application?

4)  Is there any effect with indigo on curly hair?

5)  Does the indigo tend to fade after time or will I need to just grow it out?

Thanks in advance!!

rchou
admin
Hello,

Hello,

It is always best to do the indigo no more than a day after a henna treatment, for the best results. a 2 step henna and indigo treatment will result in jet black, covering greys. Depending on the hair, it may take two applications for maximum coverage. Indigo does tend to fade a little over time, but can be updated with a short indigo application or a gloss. Indigo doesn't have any effect on curls that I know of.

To do a 2 step, apply henna to the hair as normal, and then rinse out and apply indigo (mixed with just distilled water, no dye release time) to the damp or dry hennaed hair for 2-3 hours. then rinse again.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca

Eldie222
So I would need to henna my
So I would need to henna my entire head, a full application, correct?
rchou
admin
Yes, that's correct!

Yes, that's correct!

irinadax
Indigo time

Does leaving the indigo on for 2-3 hours cause it to stick better? Because I remember years ago it was recommended to leave indigo in for 1 hour because it could be drying to the hair. I never had issues getting indigo to stay in my hair, but now I do, and I wonder if its because it needs to be left in longer. Has indigo changed ? 

m_moore
admin
Further research shows that

Further research shows that leaving it on for 3 hours is perfectly fine to leave on the hair. 3 hours is better timing as it does stick better.