Kristalovino for strand test

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
SuzeQ
Kristalovino for strand test

Since I plan on using Kristalovino in distilled water as my acid, I know to use a 4g packet per 100g of henna or cassia for the dye release. My question is, how much do I use when just mixing up a small batch in order to do a couple of strand tests? And how many grams or tsp/Tbs of henna (& cassia) do you usually mix up for say 3 strands of hair to test. I want to try different ratios of henna/cassia before I commit to doing my whole head. And how many grams are in a tsp or Tbs, as many people post they measure it out that way vs. by weight. Trying to figure out if I need to pull out my gram scale LOL. Thanks in advance for answering!

m_moore
admin
You can just add a pinch for

You can just add a pinch for a small amount of henna or cassia.  1/2 a teaspoon for 50g is sufficient- 1/4 teaspoon for 25g is good and 1/8 of a teaspoon for 12.5g is plenty.

Usually about a teaspoon of powder is a good enough amount to test-

1 teaspoon of henna is 2.3g and 1 teaspoon of cassia is 2g

The amounts (such as 1/3 to 2/3) are based off of weight, not measuring devices- unless it's a gram scale, which may be easier =]

SuzeQ
Thank you - that's a big help

Thank you - that's a big help!

Also wondering what effect using Kristalovino as the acid, has on the final color of the henna on hair, as I see on photos that mixing henna with water results in a more coppery strawberry blond, whereas mixing with lemon juice results in a deeper red color. Kristalovino was suggested to me to be the mildest acid, since I have very fine delicate hair that breaks and knots easily. Since I'm shooting for a strawberry blond  coppery color (basically the color I see on pics before the henna oxidizes), I'm wondering if I may be best off just using distilled water to mix my henna to achieve a lighter tone OR whether doing a mix of maybe 80cassia/20jasmine henna is preferable? I'd rather be too light on my first try than too dark, since I can always go darker the next time around and adjust the ratio. !My hair is currently a combo of about 3 inches of roots that are approx 70% silver from the midline part (that I pseudo cover up with an auburn touch-up stick) & the rest of the length is previously chemically dyed light auburn hair, with the ends being dark golden blond between fade out and sun exposure. Thus my hair is more or less a combo of three different colors, yikes with more and mor gray peeking out from underneath ... thus eager to try henna soon, as no more chemicals for me!

m_moore
admin
I would recommend using an

I would recommend using an acid because water cannot properly break down the molecules to release dye and often end in brassy shades that fade quick =/

The Kristalovino has brighter stains, so it would still give a nice shade, especially if you did the 80% Cassia and 20% Jasmine. 

SuzeQ
Great! That's what I'll be

Great! That's what I'll be doing this weekend - Can't wait to see how it turns out :-) Thanks for the good advice.