Advice to avoid red tones in light brown hair

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
VenusEnvy
Advice to avoid red tones in light brown hair

Hello! I'm a henna newbie with wavy/curly light-medium brown hair, with natural golden, almost dark blonde tones at the ends of my hair and in the wispy places around my temples. I have a lot of gray roots that I want covered. I have used the Ancient Sunrise® Henna for Gray Hair Kit: Medium Brunette twice, but find it is coming out much too red, especially on the fine, almost-blond wispy bits around my forehead. I want to avoid results that are red, orange, and auburn. I don't mind going darker than my natural hair if it means I won't see any red/orange/auburn.

I have scoured these forums looking for tips and tricks and below is a rough draft of a plan, based on what I have read here. I would love to have someone more knowledgeable and experienced confirm that this plan sounds good. I thought maybe it was amla I needed, but just learned about cassia, and am wondering if this would be better for my sort of golden brown tones mixed throughout my hair.

Plant Dyes
1 part henna
1 part indigo
.25 part amla

~ or ~

50% cassia
25% henna
25% indigo
and some amla for the curls?

Liquid
Distilled water with diluted lemon juice - or should I use apple juice instead of water/lemon?

Directions
Mix henna with amla (or cassia) and liquid and let sit 8 hours
After 8 hours, mix with indigo and apply to hair
Let sit 4 hours

After Dye
Do not use shampoo for at least 48 hours, only conditioner.

mbyrne
admin
Hi there!

Hi there!

A good golden light brown mix is generally equal parts of cassia, henna and indigo. You can add amla at a proportion of 1/4 of the amount of cassia and henna combined, to tone down any red tones in the color.

As far as the lemon juice vs. apple juice, the main difference is that apple juice is a bit more gentle on the scalp.

Also, you can shampoo when you rinse out the dye if you'd like! We've found that it hasn't made too much of a difference. Hope this helps!

VenusEnvy
Thank you for your response!

Thank you for your response! Would I add in the cassia to the henna and let them sit together for 8 hours? Or is cassia something I add after, along with the indigo? Thanks!

m_moore
admin
You will want to mix your

You will want to mix your henna and cassia together =]

VenusEnvy
So I let henna site overnight

So I let henna site overnight with cassia and amla as instructed, and it's been about 12 hours now but when I did a skin test, there is no dye release. I did not add lemon as everything I've read said that the amla is acidic enough. But now I'm thinking that that is not true? Not sure what else it could be.

m_moore
admin
That is correct- cassia,

That is correct- cassia, henna, amla and distilled water for 8-12 hours.  If the room is below 70 degrees, you may need to let it sit longer.  You may not notice a strong color from the henna and cassia on the finger because of the cassia making the color lighter.  Amla is definitely acidic enough to dye release henna and cassia.

emerald888
Old post...

But do you happen to recall the outcome of this?  Were you able to achieve light brown?  What ratios did you use?

Thanks!

VenusEnvy
Hi Emerald -

Hi Emerald -

The ratio recommended here didn't work for me and was way too dark. After some experimenting, this is my formula for my roots: 100 grams cassia, 25 grams henna, 25 grams indigo, and around 31 grams of amla.

Gretchen
Emerald, try 2 parts indigo

Emerald, try 2 parts indigo to 1 part henna. I use 3 parts cassia - dye released with amla separate from the enna, 1 part henna also dye released with amla (if you separate them, you can definitely see the dye stain, and then I mix both with 2 parts indigo at the end. Sometimes still need an indigo glaze to tone down the red.

Good luck!

emerald888
Thank you

for the response, Gretchen!

This is the mix you're doing on light brown hair?

Do you have any photos of the results of this mixture?

Thanks!

emerald888
Thank you

so much for your response!  I appreciate the details very much.

Your ratio sounds really good.  I'll need to pick some up henna soon and start experimenting.

Do you by chance have any photos available showing the color you get from this ratio?  Any before pics?

Thanks!

Gretchen
light browns

Hi Emerald,

Yes I would consider my hair light brown that is about 50% gray. I will try to post some before and after pics this week when I do my root touch-up. I have to say that my best color has come from a Buxus/Henna mix; however, Buxus has not been available for a long time. :(

You should just pick a mix and try it. Then decide after a few days if it's too dark or too light. Then you can adjust the amount of Cassia the next time. I consider the Cassia as the lightener. I use proportions of Indigo to Henna to control the actual base color. I tried a 50/50 mix with the latter and found it to be way too red for me. You can go to 3 parts Indigo / 1 part Henna, but be careful. It can start to look green if you go to far with the Indigo. At least that's what I found. Sometimes I use 2.5 parts Indigo to 1 part Henna if I want even less red.

When Buxus was available, I didn't need any Cassia because it's not as dark as Indigo. Oh well...I'm making it work as is and am very happy with the results. My hair always feels best right after my root touch-ups.

All the best, Gretchen