Terribly Itchy Scalp

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
essentiallyme
Terribly Itchy Scalp

I've been hennaing for about 4 years now. I've only ever used Mehandi Cassia, Indigo and Rajasthani Twilight Henna. I've varied only a little in my ratio over this time. Right now I do about 1/4 cup cassia, 1 T henna, 1 tsp indigo for my roots. I use organic bottled lemon juice to dye release over night, usually about 12 hours total before my hairdresser gets it for doing my roots. I dye tested a few times at first but now I can just tell if it's released by looking at it. I leave it on about 6 hours. I find any less time doesn't quite cover my gray as well. I do my roots every 5-6 weeks.

Since my last shipment of new cassia last Dec, my scalp has progressively gotten more and more itchy for several days after each application. The time before last, my scalp was SO itchy during the treatment (not just after), it almost felt like it burned. I also noticed my hair was a lot drier than normal, so this last time I mixed in a 1/2 a cup of conditioner with the treatment. During the 6 hours on my hair, my scalp was less itchy but post application the itch has been very bad again.

I've always just washed out the henna with conditioner. My hair is fine and breaks easily, so in the beginning I found shampoo was too tacky with the dirt texture of the henna, and the hair was more likely to snap. Conditioner gives enough slick to wash it out pretty well.

Suggestions!? I called Mehandi to ask if perhaps that latest shipment of cassia had noticeable differences. I left a message and I missed their return call so I haven't touched base with them. Nothing else has changed. Everything was working fine for the last 3 years. I'm bummed if I've developed an allergy....

m_moore
admin
Sorry about the phone tag!!

Sorry about the phone tag!! (I work with Mehandi)
It sounds like you are having a reaction with the lemon juice.  You should try Kristalovino! It is much more gentler on the scalp!  You can find it here: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/citric_acid/

Lemon juice causes problems after awhile for some folks.  =[

essentiallyme
Thank you! I will try that on

Thank you! I will try that on my next shipment. Until then, I read the chapter on acidic dye release and it looks like I can just dilute the lemon juice with water to maybe alleviate the itch. Perhaps 1:4 juice to water? Will that have much effect on the dye release time?

m_moore
admin
Doing about 75% water to 25%

Doing about 75% water to 25% lemon juice, should be okay. As long as the diluted lemon juice still has a sour taste =]

essentiallyme
Some followup

Application before last I did my normal cassia/henna/indigo ratio, with 1/4 Lemon to 3/4 water. My scalp itched less, but still some and the scalp was sensitive and itching for about 4-5 days after. The henna popped more (more reddish) with the water addition, which was interesting. 

Application yesterday I did 5 T cassia, 2 tsp henna, 3/4 tsp indigo, 1/3 tsp Kristalovino, with 1/3 tsp Cardamon.  Scalp didn't itch at all while mix was on my head (which was awesome) but post wash itching is pretty bad with some hives. Today is better. PS my color is the best it has ever been. I finally found my color combo.

I'm afraid I might be developing an allergy to Cassia :( though it did seem to start when I got my last batch (#010614cRT) of 500g of Cassia in December 2014. I only use about 1/3 of 100g for my roots so it takes me a long time to use up 500g, plus a 2x a year full hair application. 

I'm determined to try everything possible to avoid stopping use of Cassia. I fully committed to this henna journey 4 years ago and my hair is now almost waist length and so healthy. 

I don't do anything to my hair for 3 days after treatment, as I read somewhere you should leave indigo alone for 3 days. Does that still apply?

My next steps are to try a new batch of Cassia, and perhaps do an aloe vera application to scalp soon after to sooth. Thoughts? Side note: I am allergic to wild oat (avena fatua). Hives look very similar to what I can get early summer if I come into contact with too much flowering, wild grasses.