Hair totally dried out by henna

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
jamgirlhenna1
Hair totally dried out by henna

Hi,

I hope someone can help. I henndigoed for the first time ever four weeks ago and I'm devastated at how dry my hair has become. In addition to henna killing my curl, my hair is hard and straw-like. And everytime I wash the water runs brown. Fyi, I used apple juice as my liquid; no other acid was used and I kept it in for four hours. Two weeks after that I performed a 20-min amla-only treatment to try to get some of the curl back. I saw slight restoration but my hair was even drier. I have deep conditioned with heat every week since then but there is no change. My hair is stronger but is no longer soft like it used to be and sometimes it even snaps. It never used to do that. My questions are as follows:

1. Is henna supposed to fade/bleed with each wash?

2. Is there another type of henna that is less drying? I loved the color so much after the immediate application that I bought more but I'm now afraid to use it.

3. Is there a henna recipe that's less drying? I've read where people have used coconut milk but I think that has protein and could make things worse. Has anyone tried coconut milk to ameliorate dryness of hennaing?

4. If I try a henndigo gloss -- just henna + indigo + and conditioner -- could it cover grays? 

5. If these options aren't feasible, is it okay to put demi- or semi-permanent color over henna? Just on the roots that are now showing?

Thanks for reading. I hope someone can help. By the way, my hair is texturized.

teddybearha2014
Some people choose to have a

Some people choose to have a tattoo for some remembrance purposes. - Nova Publishers

jamgirlhenna1
Uh ... really not the reply I

Uh ... really not the reply I was hoping for.

ladywings
Jamgirl, I can't answer your

Jamgirl, I can't answer your questions, but it might help someone else answer them if they knew what henna you used.

nisharoseapple
Protein overload

It sounds like you have protein sensitivity. The henna might have thrown off your protein levels in your hair. Try to do a deep conditioning with protein free products. This can be difficult to find since protein can be labeled as many things. You can go to YouTube to find diy protein free treatments. Naptural85 has a great recipe on YouTube. Good luck!

vear23
Potential Drying Aides

I have had the same effects on my hair from henna.  My hair is seriously damaged from stupidity on my part.  Tried to "texlax" my hair last year.  Anyway, even on my virgin hair I've had this problem.  But after recently reading about hydration methods for hair, I found that alot of the stuff I had been using were drying and/or potential drying agents and how protein in conditioners can add to that.  I use to add coconut oil, coconut milk, amla, yogurt, lemon, the conditioner I was using at the time, etc. Sometimes adding all or just a few and always getting the same straw-like results.  They were all drying my hair out and the lemon too acidic for my scalp.

Well yesterday, I decided to just keep it simple.  I used some luke warm green tea to mix the henna I bought from a reputable site this time and not ebay, added 10 drops of an oil mixture from that same site. I found a conditioner that isn't protein free, but the protein is at the bottom of the list and it's silicone free.  I mixed the conditioner and oil in after I let the henna sit for 1-1.5 hrs. It started "bleeding" almost right away when I added the green tea.  I kept it on for just under 4 hrs and rinsed my hair, following with 2 additional "washings" with the same conditioner.  I let my hair air dry, somewhat and added some oils I use on a daily basis to my hair.  Today, even with the damage I did to it, it is softer that it has ever been after using henna.  In short, limit the amount of protein and no potential drying ingredients.

Avigayils
How do I tell if the

How do I tell if the conditioner I'm using has protein in it? What's it called?

vear23
It comes in different forms. 

It comes in different forms.  In the conditioner I am currently using it's soybean protein (glycine soja).  Of the 17 ingredients it is the 13th item down from the top.  Other forms of protein are hydrolyzed proteins (I've read they are the harshest of proteins. The natural proteins aren't as harsh), silk protein to name a few.  Panthenol/pro-vit b5 can build up and act like a protein. 

I've also read that glycerine is an astringent and pulls moisture out of the hair in dry conditions.  I have this to be very accurate in my case.