Oil Recommendations

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
SimplyBeautiful...
Oil Recommendations
As I read more hair care recipes, I see oil infusions mentioned. I also see recommendations of adding oil to some recipes. What oils are recommended for strength, growth, and conditioning? I'd like to create a good conditioning and daily treatment using some of the oils. I just don't know where to start. Thanks
mowglijazz
Re: Oil Recommendations
Hi SB, I haven't ever added oil to my henna (maybe I will as I venture back) but I have seriously saved my hair from ruin with the following: After shampooing, adding a little coconut oil to hair before conditioner and then washing out, then applying Aveda's Damage Remedy™ Daily Hair Repair As a deep conditioning scalp/hair treatment, once per alternate week: - a mix of granulated sugar and coconut oil, with a drop or two of rosemary oil, scrubbed into scalp only and then on ends, coconut oil - overtop, Aveda Dry Remedy Moisturizing Treatment Masque Leave that in for an hour or so, then wash with Naturcolor shampoo, rinse with ACV/water, then condition with Naturcolor conditioner and finish with a leave-in of Aveda's Damage Remedy™ Daily Hair Repair ON ALTERNATE WEEK - a mix of granulated sugar and coconut oil, with a drop or two of rosemary oil, scrubbed into scalp only and then on ends, and then one egg yolk mixed with olive or coconut oil, applied to whole head and left for one hour. Then wash as above. My hair went from fried and dry to soft, glossy and shiny in one month!
SimplyBeautiful...
Thank you! That's a great regimen. This is definitely a journey where we have to find what works best for our hair. I love it!

ACWN
As general rule, its not a good idea to add oil TO the henna as it can inhibit dye uptake - especially in color resistant hair. Better to hold off until after you rinse it out!
SimplyBeautiful...
Thank You! Is it ok to add it to the herbs you're using for conditioning purposes? For example, I plan to mix Cassia, Neem, Shikakai, Bhringraj, Brahmi, Amla, and Aloe Vera together for a conditioning treatment. Is it ok to add an oil to that?
ACWN
I wouldn't know, sorry.
SimplyBeautiful...
No problem..I don't want to inhibit the absorbsion of the nutrients in any way so I'll just use the oil after i rinse it all out. I think that makes sense.