Coffee and / or Apple Cider Vinega

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tracey
Coffee and / or Apple Cider Vinega
Read that this helps to get gray hair darker and hold the color, does anyone have any experience with this being true?  If yes, do you mix it with the henna or the indigo?  Thanks!
ACWN
Re: Coffee and / or Apple Cider Vinega

Coffee having an effect on the color is a myth. It can be used for dye release, but is also partially absorbed through the scalp and give you the jitters.

The staff at mehandi.com recommend ACV frequently as their go-to liquid because it gives great color and is good for the hair/scalp, but we've gotten a lot of reports in the past here on the forum that vinegars can make henna stink pretty horribly... so if you're sensitive to smells, you might want to avoid that.

NEVER mix anything acidic directly with indigo. Anything with a pH level less than 7 is too acidic and is likely to kill the indigo.

Tracey
How much ACV would I add to the henna and can it have an irritating effect on the scalp at all?  Thanks!
ACWN

Enough at first to make a lumpy paste, once dye release has been reached, then you add enough until its smooth and the texture of stirred yogurt - so that it smoothly drizzles off your spoon.

No, it shouldn't be.

CCartwrightJones
admin
If vinegar irritates your skin or you don't like the smell, there are other options, especially in the sourish-fruit juice range.  Call customer service at 1-855-MEHANDI and they can tell you about the variation in results with different juices, with different hennas.
HennaGal
admin
ACWN is totally correct. I usually suggest to mix the the ACV 50/50 water. ACV is generally good for the hair and scalp, but too much could cause irritation.
Tracey

I have used lemon juice and I have used Amla and water.  The henna uptake is fine, it is getting the indigo to stay dark after a couple of days.

Do you have any suggestions?  I am concerned about the vinegar irritating my skin and would like to try something else first?

I use the henna and indigo from tap dancing lizard and i do an henna app first then indigo.  i am going to try using a bit more indigo and see if that helps.  

Thanks