Traditional darkening mixtures worth it?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sarah
Traditional darkening mixtures worth it?

I normally use henna, lemon juice, sugar, and lavender oil. This week I was told (by someone who's been doing henna her whole life, having grown up in India) that cooking tamarind and using that water will darken henna, and by someone else that brewing strong black tea with cloves (mostly for color, also for scent) and cinnamon (for scent) and using that will darken henna too.

Will either of these do any better than my usual essential oil, or are they about the same?

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Traditional darkening mixtures worth it?

Tamarind tea will make the henna darker than just plain water, because tamarind is acidic.  It doesn't do a better job than lemon juice, and its more work. Use tamarind if you've got a citrus allergy.

Cloves will make henna darker because they've got a very nice terp, eugenol, but that's also a skin irritant.

Cinnamon will not make henna darker.  Its a skin irritant.

A terp with a high monoterpene alcohol content and an acidic mix will make your henna far darker than water.

Growing up in India is no more a guarantee that you know everything about henna is than growing up in the USA is a guarantee that you can hit a home run in baseball. They're both science and practice. 

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

These ingredients will not darken the henna :tea, cloves, cinnamon, beets, paprika, or other food items. 

The tamarind is often used instead of lemon as it is what is available where they grew up or lived and is readily availabe and inexpensive .

Really, 99 cents store lemon juice works wonderfully  along with  the  good quality essential oil and will give you the darkest henna stains possible.

For darker henna, you can steam the paste while it is on the skin , being careful not to scald yourself . 

Sarah

That's all I needed to know:) Thanks, ladies. Think I'll stick with my regular mix.