Need help evening out color that is too dark on the ends

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
gbthomps
Need help evening out color that is too dark on the ends
After years of coloring my hair with chemical dyes, I became sensitive to them and the last time I did it, I developed bald patches. So after a lot of research, I decided to switch to henna. My hair was dyed a light neutral brown and I am about 70% gray. I wanted to go to a medium auburn, so I ordered a henna mix from henna colorlabs in auburn. I mixed it with tea and a couple of tablespoons of ACV. I left it on for about 4 hours. Although the color on the hair closest to my scalp and underneath turned out as I wanted, a nice medium auburn, the top layer had turned totally black. After checking for advice on this board, I used the vitamin c and shampoo method numerous times. It did lift the black a little bit to more of a brownish black with red showing up insunlight. But it turned the hair underneath and close to my scalp a bright light orange. Awful. I went and had it cut as short as I dared without my husband having a fit. Since I still had some of the auburn henna left, I put it just on the orange parts and was able to get that back to the auburn color, so at least the difference is not as glaring, but I still have mostly black hair, which does not suit me at all. I don't dare do any more of the vitamin c treatment, because, even if I try to keep it off the lighter areas, I'm afraid to it leaking on there and turning parts orange again. So here is my question. If I use several treatments of just straight henna, such as ancient sunrise auburn or red, would it be likely to deposit more red on the dark parts to make them look more auburn and appear lighter even indoors while keeping the lighter areas deep auburn. Or won't it show up at all on the dark parts? Do you have any other advice? I really appreciate any help you can give me. I hate my black hair.
ACWN
Re: Need help evening out color that is too dark on the ends

Unfortunately, plant dyes are not like chemical dyes and they cannot lighten. They will not make the dark parts lighter.

BUT! I *think* I know why you got black. This can sometimes happen as a reaction to hard water. So! I would recommend a mineral build up remover like mehandi.com's Rainwash or Ion Crystal Clarifying treatment, which you can get at a beauty supply store like Sally's. Use it according to the directions for about 40 minutes or so, since it sounds like you might have a lot of build up, then use frequently there after to keep the build up from happening.

gbthomps
Thank you so much for your reply. I never thought of the hard water being the problem. We do have extremely hard water, but I had filtered it. Apparently that didn't get the minerals out of it. I will pick up some clarifying shampoo at Sally's later today. Do you think that after using that, if I use a high dye content henna, it will show up enough to make my hair redder? Thanks again for your advice.
ACWN

Its not a shampoo, its a powder that you mix and becomes a sortve gel. You apply, leave it in, then rinse it out.

If it is hard water build up and the remover does what its suppose to, that black should turn an auburn-ish color on its own. If not, unfortunately... no. Plant dyes cannot lighten.