zizyphus on bleached hair, scalp, etc.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bretoness
zizyphus on bleached hair, scalp, etc.
Hi, I'm wondering why it says zizyphus may cause peculiar results on bleached hair. Bleached hair has a lightened cortex and some cuticle damage, so I see no reason why it would react strangely. From what I read on here I gather that it has no ill effect on chemically dyed hair, is this true? Does anyone know the pH of zizyphus? Does anyone know if it can prevent hair from dying as well, like henna does? Does it have the same or similar scalp benefits as henna? Does it eventually all rinse out or does it stay in the hair like henna, I'm guessing it rinses out. I'm a former henna user and I currently have bleached hair and I'm lookin for something to give me similar scalp and hair benefits. Cassia is not an option for me. Thanks for any answers or info in zizyphus
HennaGal
admin
Re: zizyphus on bleached hair, scalp, etc.
We've done some tests with ziz on bleached hair. It can turn an unattractive greenish color. A follow up with Mehandi's Rainwash removed most of the green stain. The pH is about 5. Ziz leaves a sort of film on the hair making it heavy and shiny like the henna. It can be removed with a strong clarifying treatment. You might try a Rainwash treatment first, then strand test the zizyphus to make sure there's no undesirable stain.
Bretoness
How strange. Is there a specific thread that showed results or pictures? Bleached hair is escentially the same as dyed hair, both are lightened with peroxide but dyed has the addition of a chemical dye obviously. I wonder if the bleach was rinsed out well enough before applying ghe zizyphus. Can you tell me more detail about the tests that were done. Was the conclusion that zizyphus interacts with hard water? Was the same thing also done with chemically dyed hair?
HennaGal
admin
Unfortunately, there are no threads or photos from this experience. I'll add this to my to do list! The ziz was tested on bleached and chemically colored hair. The bleached hair turned greenish, the regular chem color hair was thick, heavy, and soft.  My best guess is, the hair was so porous, it retained some of the natural green leaf color. Its a great plant, just strand test first.