Reddest henna?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
TashaSharma
Reddest henna?
At the moment i am using a dark brown henna which i love but i also want a henna that is a nice red colour. Any suggestions of which henna to use? :)
Carrie
Re: Reddest henna?
are you talking about for hair, or body art?  (this post is in the body art forum)
TashaSharma
Body art :)
Jen
Henna is the color it is. Red-brown. Poor quality henna won't have much oomph, and will leave a rusty orange. Good strong henna will give a reddish brown on some parts of the body and deeper mahogany tones on thicker skinned areas like palms or soles.

While you may find pre-mixed henna paste called "red" it will ether be the natural henna that will mature to a shade of red-brown, or if it is really bright red, it contains chemical dyes. To get red naturally, its about manipulating the stain more than switching henna. You'll only be successful on palms, but if you have a great mix, apply to palms for only just an hour or two, and remove the paste the color will start out pale orange and mature to a bright red. The stain will not last as long as if you left the paste on longer, but it is really the best way to get a red stain naturally.
Viljaana
To me it seems that the red henna stain is something between orange (poorly stained henna) and brown (well stained henna). It seems that there is a small space between those two, and if you're able to hit that exact point of dyeing time, you may get The Red. But like Jen said, it works only on plams (and soles, I think).

I too live the red tones on skin, but I usually get more or less brown, but some of my clients and friends report of very red stains, particularly on the second day after. After that the henna darkens to more brown shade. The dyeing process of the henna is very delicate and complex, so it is very difficult to manipulate the shade. It is what it is; that is the mystery and the beauty of henna.

Most photos of bridal henna show very red stain. A photographer explained to me once, that it because the white balance. The camera tends to emphasize the reds against the skin. It is also possible to enhance the red tones with Photoshop as everybody love The Red.
TashaSharma
Thankyou for your reply :)