Complicated question - Edited with HTML so you can read it more easily!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
svictoria29
Complicated question - Edited with HTML so you can read it more easily!
Hi all,

I've been using henna for a few years now. Every time I seem to play with with how much henna and how much indigo I use for my roots. My hair has gotten progressively darker due to some overlap of the new dye and the existing, and because I was trying to get more brown by using more indigo, and because I did all my hair with a mostly cassia but some henna/indigo. While I always get compliments on my hair, it just miss my lighter, old mouse-brown hair that had beautiful, light brown natural highlights.

The good news is I used Color Oops twice and have lightened my hair significantly! It hasn't gotten all the henna out, but has lifted some as well as some of the indigo. What I am trying to do is dye the roots, which are the same tone, just not as red, with a more brown color that is a bit closer to the original color. Now, I have some grey on the part of near the front, so I realize to cover that I'll need some henna and hence some red, but am wondering how to best go about this to prevent they grey from being too red. Should I:

1) Use henna/indigo/alma (i've done this the past 2 times) and leave it on less than usual to prevent as much henna taking (I have been leaving it on 4 hours) or

2) Use Cassia and henna/indigo and leave on for the 4 hours to get more saturation and prevent it from washing out of the grey (I had case where I did henna/indigo, no alma, for just 2 hours and it faded from the grey almost completely.)

Here are pictures of my hair: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/bxuy2n8ygfk54e5/dyRArBaLxw

Let me describe each pic since each one looks so different! They were all taken today.

1) The first one is how my hair sometimes looks. It usually doesn't look this dark but will indoors.
2) When the sun is on it, I will get this coppery red
3) This is how it looks usually, not in direct sunlight but with natural light. Very close to my natural hair
4) Here you can see the highlights, but also see the 1 inch roots that appear darker, but aren't. They just don't have any henna to catch and reflect light.
5) This is in florescent light. Here and in the first one you can see the red.

So, advice? I would be so grateful to anyone with experience in the above processes, or with more experience in general. Thanks so much!

Shannon

HennaGal
admin
Re: Complicated question
Hello!  You might try a mix of 2 parts henna + 1 part indigo followed by an indigo gloss. The hendigo mix should get you close to the length color and the gloss will tone the red all over!  Leave  the mix on your roots for about 4 hours and the gloss about 30 minutes. i hope this helps!
svictoria29
Hey thanks! Are you suggesting to leave the gloss on all my hair, or just the roots? I never thought about doing it this way. Would you completely rinse the hendigo mix before the gloss? Thanks!
HennaGal
admin
Using the gloss on your whole head will help tone down the red all over.  You can gloss after you've rinsed the hendigo mix, or anytime you see too much brassiness. It's very diluted so you can do it as many times as you feel necessary!
svictoria29
Great! Just a couple more questions:

-- I usually use 1/2 indigo, 1/2 henna. I assume you are suggesting the 2:1 ratio for more staying power on the grey with the henna and that the indigo gloss will correct the red. Am I understanding correctly?

-- Will the indigo gloss darken my highlights at all? I don't want my hair any darker. If it just tones down the brassy color I'm fine.

-- For just a very light gloss, what do you recommend for portions? Do you recommend this over cassia?

Thanks soooo much!

HennaGal
admin
Re: Complicated question - Edited with HTML so you can read ...
The 2:1 mix will get your roots to match your length. Cassia alone is certainly an option, if your okay with growing out the darker color.  The indigo gloss is super diluted, so its going to help neutralize instead of darken the color.