Henna correction? Help!!

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
sjarman13
Henna correction? Help!!

I am probably 30% gray in front. I've been shooting for a mahogany color (brown/black with red) to mix in with my natural black hair. I've been using premixed packs purchased from an online company that advertises mahogany as I described. After numerous applications...  I am still orange (disgusting auburn orange).

I need help fixing this. I would absolutely love to have the color they advertise... " a fusion of deep rich black, dark chocolate brown, and intense cherry red." 

Can I change my orange to that?

HEEEEELLLLP!!!!!

BTW.. the ingredients in their packet Is: Henna, Indigo, red clay, false daisy, amla, centella, myrobalan seeds..

ACWN
Re: Henna correction? Help!!

Unfortunately, there isn't really much we can offer in way of help since what you're using is premixed. Its off topic here. The topics here are strictly bound to the mixing and application of pure plant dyes that are not premixed in the package. We also are not allowed to discuss other companies' products because this is a forum hosted by a company (mehandi.com/Tap Dancing Lizard/Ancient Sunrise) and insurance (I think?) says no. There have also been threats of the owner being sued in the past by other companies.

Best we can offer is to contact the company and ask them for advise since they know how best to use their products.

Now, if you're interested in using pure plant dyes that you would combine yourself and would probably be a LOT more permanent than what you're using now, we can help. If you post a link to a pic of what you want, we can offer up suggestions to get as close to the color as we can manage. Keep in mind, though, that everyone's hair is different and we cannot promise results. You would need to do a lot of strand testing of various mixes and application times before hand.

sjarman13

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear. I only gave the info on the product I used for background purposes. I've ordered henna and indigo from tap dancing lizard for years and still own a few packets of each.

I guess I should've asked how to correct too orangey hair and get a deep rich black, dark chocolate brown, and intense cherry red wthout  confusing everyone with extraneous info.

Wasn't asking for help for anyone else's products...sorry I wasn't clear.

Do you think an indigo gloss will help?

ACWN

Unfortunately, you cannot get all three of those colors at once with plant dyes and an "intense cherry red" may not be possible - but the color I'M thinking of probably isn't what you mean, however when I read that, I think more of a color you'd get from a box of crayons or out of a computer printer, something henna cannot produce.

If you do black, that's what you're going to get and any henna over it wont change anything. You can shoot for a more reddish brown or cherry cola sortve color. You could possibly get a sortve mahogany color, but it wont be as RED as what you'd get from a box dye, I'm pretty sure. You can also get more of a burgundy color with repeated applications of just henna.

Note: I understand you might already be aware of all that, but it was said in case you didn't and any one new who happens to come across your post.

To correct the orange... you can do a brief indigo gloss, but I'm not sure how well it will hold and it will give you more of a brown color. You can also apply straight henna for a longer period of time to reduce the orange and give it more of a rich red-brown. You could do a hennigo mix to give you more of a brown, and then apply henna over that to bring out more red.

sjarman13

Thank you soooo much. I think the idea of repeated henna applications and shooting for a burgundy may be my best bet for mixing those grays.

I just ordered the Rajasthani Twilight. I currently have the Ancient Sunrise for African Hair and I think the lawsone content may be to low to do the trick.

Thank you for replying and getting me on track! Happy  Thanksgiving.

ACWN

The African one would get you there, it would just take a few more applications than Twilight.

Best method to do it without too much hassle... mix the henna, let it dye release. Freeze it in ziplocks mushed flat. Once its totally frozen, thaw gently (in fridge or on counter) and apply on freshly washed hair for 5 - 6 hours. Wash out, repeat probably two or three more times. Maaaaybe 4.

Carrie
I'll second ACWN's advice - using frozen, dye-released Twilight henna paste, applied for 5-6 hours, should go a long way toward getting you into a color you'll like. You may need to do it twice, but let your hennaed hair oxidize for a week before you decide on a second application.  Your gray will be auburn/red and your black will have a red shimmer to it in bright sunlight but will still look pretty black indoors.
CCartwrightJones
admin
The CS crew tested the present 1.4% lawsone batch of Henna for African Hair, and it has one of the prettiest red undertones I've ever seen.  Twilight moves more towards auburn/reddish brunette.