Diluting Henna with Cassia

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lavinniya
Diluting Henna with Cassia
Okay, so, I am fully aware of the sheer number of posts/questions on this topic already, and I have read through some of them (there are SO many!). I still have some questions about this that maybe weren't answered totally or I just didn't get to them yet. (p.s. I have read through the PDF multiple times as well, and I am definitely not new to Henna). I love henna! I love the richness, the shine, the color, the process and ... even the smell. The only thing I don't like about it is how deep the color gets after repeated applications (my ends are near burgundy/wine colored). I am thinking of doing a dilute Henna with Cassia -- 100g Cassia with 1/2 Tbsp (10g?) Henna --- My questions: 1) Will this dilute the Henna 'red' color enough so that it remains 'orange-y'? 2) Should I use a strong acidic mix (lemon juice)? 3) If I use an acidic liquid, can I mix the powders together and let them release together? How long? 24 hours? (I have used cassia before, and even after 14 hours, didn't get much dye release with a weaker acid mix) Thanks. Edit: tried to format for clarity, adding paragraph spacing, but for whatever reason it will not stick. So sorry. :(
ACWN
Re: Diluting Henna with Cassia

You have to keep in mind that cassia's dye is a very weak yellow that only really shows up on gray or platinum blonde hair, and even then its only really a hint of yellow. It would take several applications before you saw *yellow*.

Also, even if you dilute it.. if you do all over applications, its still going to build up in color. If you have a color you like, its best to do roots only from that point on to keep the color you like.

But to answer your questions...

1. Yeah, that should. It also depends on what henna you're using.

2. Use whatever liquid you normally use.

3. You can, but you will not see dye release in henna when testing on your palm and there is no way to test dye release in cassia since the color wont really stain your skin enough (if at all). Best to mix them separately and when the henna is ready, so is the cassia. How long depends on what you use.

The formatting issue is site related. If you're posting on your phone or by any means that's not full HTML, it seems to eat the formatting.

Carrie
I've heard that cassia's dye strength is related to pH, but I'm not sure what the ideal pH is. I still get dye that shows up well on white mohair even with a water mix, but not as strong a color as when I've used something a little acidic.  When I used it for dyeing my hair I'd usually use something mildly acidic (chamomile tea, most often, sometimes lemon juice or part lemon juice/part water) and let it stand for dye release about the same amount of time I'd use for henna (timing depends on pH and temperature of the liquid). However, we know henna survives well at controlled room temp in an all-lemon juice mix for over 24 (usually 48) hours - and I can't say that I've tried that with cassia. I'd not assume that cassia's dye will last well for a whole day or longer. I'd usually use a chamomile tea/cassia mix after about 6 hours standing time.

Lavinniya
Noted! Thank you. I think I will probably use a 1:4 lemon juice water mix. :)
Lavinniya
Hello! Thank you for replying. I am not expecting any color from Cassia, more of a neutral base for a small amount of Henna. :) I'll take some before and after pictures just to document the change .... if any. Thank you so much!
Lavinniya
***Update*** So, I am at work right now; therefore, I can't upload any pictures. I just wanted to say it turned out beautifully!! . I did end up mixing: . 100g Cassia ; ~10g Henna (1/2 Tbsp?) ; 3/4 c lemon juice ; 1/4 c filtered water ; Let sit covered for 24 hours. . I added more water after the 24 hours to make it thinner (I have really thick curly hair), and applied it on dry hair. Wrapped it up, and let it sit for about 3.5 hours. Rinsed well (lots of conditioner). It really warmed up my cool/ashy blonde roots and fades much better into the obviously red/hennaed ends. It looks really nice, not RED or Orange per se, but in the sun it definitely shows the red glow. I think I will do this to my roots only (maybe a bit more henna in the mix next time [1 full Tbsp]) towards Christmas, then stop and wait until growth begins to show again. . :) :) . ps, I think the large amount of Cassia vs the amount of Henna, makes my hair much softer immediately afterwards as opposed to Henna alone (where it is really dry/straw-ish feeling for a few days)
Carrie
wonderful!   glad it worked out so well for you!