Afrin Dulhan Mehandi cone, opinons?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
EllaBalu
Afrin Dulhan Mehandi cone, opinons?
I was recently in Toronto and picked up a cone of this brand. The woman who owned the salon I had bough it from swears it contains only henna and mehndi oil. I loved the colour and texture of this paste, but I noticed that it was not cold stored. I cannot find good reviews or a list of ingredients anywhere. What do other artists think about this product? ~Ella
Jen
Re: Afrin Dulhan Mehandi cone, opinons?
Anything that's not stored cold and has a shelf life of more than a few days contains chemical additives. Period. At best they are unidentified preservatives, at worse dangerous dyes or even kerosene. She can swear all day and night it's just henna and "mehndi oil" but how can she know if she didn't make it herself, and it's not labeled.
EllaBalu
I came across henna liquified using kerosene, nasty smelling stuff. I know that there is a chance that the chemicals May not be friendly, however not all preservatives are nasty ie:citric acid. I am suspicious because there isn't an ingredient list ANYWHERE that I can find. I ordered some henna that has a 2.56 lawsone content and another that has a 3.26. Perhaps one of these will deliver that intense maroon to black cherry color. ~Ella
Jen
That's just it. No ingredients list! You'll never know what's in there, nasty or not. I've made henna with citric acid, for example. It has a room temp shelf life of 4-5 days, and it's losing potency by the already. I'm betting that you can get what you are after with the powder you've bought. Mixing can have a learning curve, so don't be disappointed if you don't nail it the first time.
Viljaana
As a chemistry student I'm with Jen with this one: natural henna doesn't keep in room temperature. And I would trust no cosmetic product that hasn't got a plain INCI (you can allways Google the cryptic ingredients). I don't want to see any "brown color" or other euphonisms for PPD/para-phenylenediamin either.

Unfortunaly cones without ingredient listing or with suspicions ingredients are widely sold in the West too. Even though in EU (where I am located) those are not allowed, the authorities can not monitor all those little ethnic stores and their importing.

And the clerks allways tell you that it's just henna! Henna is not one of their experties, so they do not know better. The henna artist should. "Just henna and water" - I've heard that so many times. Well that paste died months ago. If the one you sell still stains it is not natural henna.
Jen
You know Viljaana, products without ingredients lists aren't SUPPOSED to be allowed here either! And yet, here we are... I suspect EU authorities just do a much better monitoring that.