First fair tips

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
TraceyB
First fair tips
Hi all. I have been doing henna for a few months, currently using pre filled cones. I have tried to make my own and after a few batches i know i need more practice on that. So i have my pre filled cones, and i use syringe applicator bottles. I am doing my first fair this weekend. Any tips and things i should know? I know i need to keep the henna cool, and thaw enough to use on people. Do you use a cooler? The weather will be low 70s, possibly pretty sunny. I will have a tent so it wont be in direct sun Should i offer only a few designs? Mostly i can only do floral, more western style stuff. some other things like hearts, peace signs, writing names, simple stuff. I dont want to get stuck with people wanting things i cant do I only feel half ready for this but i feel its a good start at this fair to throw myself to the wolves and really get the feel of what i am in for. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Jen
Re: First fair tips
I use a lunch box cooler for my henna.

It sounds like you know you should only take designs that you're confident about. Also, I wouldn't take anything that will take you more than 10 minutes. Try to have a variety. Even a few things for the fellas, like kanji, or small tribals.

Make sure you have paper towels, scissors, tape, and a throw pillow. You may also want baby wipes, pins to secure clothing, and hair ties. OH! and take photos :)

Make sure you have clear signage, a sheet with your contact information and after care instructions, and business cards.

Its a really good idea, if you haven't already done so, to get set up with a smart phone card reader. You can get them through either square or paypal. Then display a sign that says you can accept cards. I'd suggest that you only take cards for $10 or more because otherwise it may not be worth paying the fee. (approximately 3%) Being able to accept cars has increased my fest sales by about 25%!

Make sure to let us know how it went!!!
TraceyB
thank you so much! . do you put an ice pack thingy in the cooler? the man designs i am kind of stuck on but i will practice a bunch before sunday. i was wondering about that, because most of the things seem more female oriented. another thing i am working on is how to best display what i offer. I have taken a few pics of people that i have hennaed but is there a good way? I dont have any books. I have the credit card all set up on my ipad! i use intuit. I own a nail salon so i use it for that and i have been using my clients to practice on. I am nervous but i think i can handle this crowd.. we will see. and ill definitely post back! thank you again!
Jen
Yes, I use an icepack.

A three ring binder can be used to hold line art, or use album pages to display photos. You could also put your photos on a poster board. Just be tidy about it! People don't want art from people who can't make nice looking displays!

Having a feminine focus on your designs is just fine. Most of the people interested in henna will be women, but I think its a good idea to display at least a couple of things that appeal to guys.

Good luck!
TraceyB
great ideas . thanks very much!
TraceyB
it went very well. the weather was terrible but except for that and one almost disastrous clog that made my applicator bottle top blow off.. making a mess and wasting henna, it all went well. for my first fair in the rain i made about 300 and the table cost me 60 so i feel it was worth it. I stuck to a few designs and variations on flowers. a few teenage girls completely smudged their designs and i had to redo.. which was quite annoying. I also had to lower my prices or I would have done even better. i lowered my small designs to 5$ because most balked at 10 or 15,but they did pay that for larger designs. I wound up doing mostly $5 designs. Im exhausted but glad the first shot went pretty well. thanks for your help
Jen
$300 in small designs is a lot of designs! No wonder it wore you out!

Larger designs take some practice. They'll be an easier sell when you have more time to develop. Having only been at this a few months it was a pretty bold step to work pro at all. Practice, practice, practice, and eventually you'll be peddling master pieces. :)
TraceyB
yes haha i am still exhausted. its funny most of the teen girls wanted me to write boy band names and do the infinity sign on their wrists, or other things mimicking real tattoos . Larger designs i still really have to work on. I am getting pretty good at floral but the really traditional intricate stuff i still really need to work on. thank you so much for the advice and encouragement!