It's all about smile...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
hennakatrin
admin
It's all about smile...

Maybe you have or have not heard about frontal teeth removal before. There are several form of it.

This has been a tradition of body-mutilation in Africa that is still alive - infant frontal teeth removal. Usually done with milk-teeth and for small children. Operation is done rather brutally and by local village-healer. Usually when child has either diarrhea or parasites or both. It has been said that the explanation of teeth removal is that small teeth remind worms and when healer destroys those in mouth that should have positive effect all over the system.
From what I've read is that it has been noted as a problem amongst immigrant communities in some countries in Europe as they keep practicing it.

Now another case is if that has been done for adults. I found really interesting article with a video-clip that explains that phenomena becoming a trendy beauty-procedure in South-Africa. Firstly they remove it and then another trend is to have false-teeth with different bling-bling aspects and showing-off elements. It is very interesting to listen how they explain the whole phenomena.

Here's the article and video-clip is at the very end of it:

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/a-gap-in-style-front-teeth-removal-is-trendy-among-south-african-youth.html

Shelly4color
Re: It's all about smile...

Reminds me about what they're now doing in Japan, except in Japan it's almost crazier because you have grown women choosing to pay lots of money to get a dentist to distort their teeth or put fake veneers in their mouths because they believe the look is supposed to be cute and attractive to men. Bizarre and pedaphilic. And of course China had the whole feet binding thing, resulting in amputation and killing people from gangrene. In distant provincial villages, some still do it. 

There's plenty of mutilation going around in in all cultures and it will continue IMO. The English had the steel crinoline and the corset, which could literally kill the girls/women who wore them. People still die in the name of fashion all over the world (and some women still choose to wear corsets that crush their organs). Genital mutilation is part of several world wide cultures. All that somehow seems weirder to me than mutilation solely as an attempt at healing some ailment. 

ACWN

I wear corsets because I like them, and while I wear them for MILD and temporary body shaping, I definitely would NEVER wear them for that organ squishing, extreme shaping. That's just... ick. I've seen a woman who has to SLEEP in them because her middle is no bigger than my fist. Nooo thank you! Theres wearing them cause they're pretty and they can enhance your natural shape, and then theres mushing yourself.

Another one is the neck "stretching" of the Padaung. They start when girls are just TWO!!

Shelly4color
Yeah. Then there's the double-jaw surgery people currently undergo in South Korea. Dangerous, very painful and highly unnecessary. ... Or the powdered make-up Europeans once used to whiten skin in Medieval times. The lead content was so high it corroded facial tissue and caused death ... yet they still continued to use it as a perceived beauty aid. So many other stories, but I'll stop there. It's depressing.