help to get light golden brown

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
marytmacc
help to get light golden brown
I'm new here, and thankful to find a group of people that can hopefully give me some feedback on the best mix to use on my hair. I've trying to use natural products on my hair for numerous reasons and decided to use henna mixes to cover grey when I saw a picture of the top of my head in natural light! Whew! I'm about 50% grey with light/medium brown hair. I've been growing out previously lightened hair, which is about 5'' long. The uncolored hair is about 7". My hair is baby fine, dry and slightly wavy.

I would like to be able to get a light golden brown color. It's frustrating because it's hard to find plant formulas for this color. I've ordered indigo, cassia and Rajasthani Twilight.

Does anyone have any advice as to the combination I should use and should I use something like coffee to help the color?

Thanks for any feedback!
ACWN
Re: help to get light golden brown

You'll have to do some strand testing, but you'll want a cassia heavy mix... like 50 - 75% cassia to equal parts henna and indigo.

Carrie does a lot of blonde mixes, so hopefully she can pop in with advice when she gets a chance. She'll be able to help you out better and can even provide some nice pics of mixes she's used herself.

Coffee is a myth. Doesn't do anything for the color and just gives you the jitters.

marytmacc
Ha! Yes, I prefer coffee to drink.

Thank you for your response; I appreciate it.
Carrie
I suggest you collect some hairballs to experiment on. 

One thing that might work for you is a henna/indigo gloss. For your test, mix about 1 tsp of each into enough hot water to make a yogurtlike consistency. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let that sit in the bowl for 1 hour, then stir that into about a tablespoon of conditioner and saturate your hairball. Apply to hair for 30 minutes. 

If that isn't enough color, do the same but don't dilute it in conditioner. (mix henna and indigo with hot water, let stand for 1 hour, apply full strength for 30 minutes).

The result of the non-diluted method is shown on test strand #42 here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/3713939746/in/set-72157619485710101

If your hair does well with cassia, you could use 100 gm cassia plus 2 Tablespoons prepared henna paste that you froze, and 1 Tablespoon indigo powder (mix that into lukewarm water to make a paste first, then add it to the cassia/henna paste).  Apply for about 2 hours.  If the color is too reddish, decrease the henna amount. If the color is too light for you, increase the amount of both henna and indigo.

marytmacc
Thank you for your advice Carrie! I liked the strand test on 42. I'll do the strand tests that you recommend when my order comes in.

Mary
Gretchen
Carrie, I have worked for 2 years to get light brown for my roots and was doing well with buxus/henna @ 2:1. Now that we can't get buxus, I am using Indigo and it's definitely darker. Would adding a lot of cassia lighten it back up to something similar to my buxus/henna mix? I need to order some stuff and was wondering if I should include cassia in my order. Gretchen
Carrie
Yes, cassia will lighten the color if you use enough of it.  The color may not be exactly the same as when you used buxus because buxus and indigo don't have quite the same color (buxus is more green, indigo more violet). Compare strand 22 (indigo) to strand 31 (buxus applied 3 times):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/3615394478/in/set-72157619485710101

For light brown I'd use at least 2/3 or 3/4 cassia, and 1/3 or 1/4 other dyes (henna and indigo in the ratio that works for your desired level of warmth).
Gretchen
I never realized the color difference between buxus and indigo, so thanks for the link. Do I need to dye release the cassia separate from the henna, or can they be together when I mix them with amla and distilled water? Then, will amla do the job for cassia like it does for the henna? Thanks again!
Carrie
You can use amla in both. I would do the dye release separately, only because if you mix them you won't be able to skin-test the henna (the mixed dye will be a lot weaker than just henna would be).
emerald888
Carrie -

If this gloss ratio works out well, would that then equal 1/3 cup of henna and 1/3 cup of indigo per 1 cup of conditioner used? .. 

I'm figuring 1 tsp is 1/3 of a tablespoon and this calls for 1 tsp each henna and indigo and 1 tablespoon of conditioner.

This ratio created a beautiful golden red on my hair wad sample :-)

Thanks!