Sugar Twin

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nicole
Sugar Twin

Is it a good idea to use Sugar Twin in your henna paste?  If yes, how much?

The ingredients are as follows :  Dextrose, sodium cyclamate (32%), silicon dioxide.  Contains sodium cyclamate.

I've hear about using dextrose in henna paste, but not sure about the other ingredients.

Thanks!

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)
Re: Sugar Twin

table sugar is very inexpensive and works well  

Nicole

Yeah, that's what I usually use, I just got the impression that dextrose was maybe better.  I'll probably stick with regular sugar unless I hear of someone's experience.

Maggie

Personally I've switched to Sugar Twin and am pretty happy I did. I find it gives a stringier texture and more ability to drape long lines. I get a box of like 72 packs for a dollar so it's really not all that expensive. Here in London, Ontario I've been using two individual packs per 100g of powder but that's because it's been extremely humid and hot here (worse then any other year). I might add a third or forth come Winter with indoor heating. Silicon dioxide is just basically sand and generally you can expect a couple grains of it in your henna powder anyways. However the Sodium Cyclamate would be the sweetener part of sugar twin, I've not noticed any negative affects on my stain whatsoever but I would suggest not actually eating sodium cyclamate as it's banned in many countries.

Nicole

Thanks!  I'm waiting on an order of Jamila, so I'll probably do some experementing when it gets here, whatever doesn't work out will be practice paste!

Jen

Dextrose does seem to do a better job of making a paste that drapes well and dries flexible and stays stuck. Here's the thing... I think sugar twin is about 30% (or some such) dex and the rest is mostly sweetener. Nutrasweet is something like 96% dex because the sweetener in it is so much stronger. Given a chance to choose between the two, I'd go with the nutrasweet.