G6PD deficiency

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
karmicwonder
G6PD deficiency

How would a person know if they have this condition. From what I have read so far, it is possible that it presents no symptoms. So they also may not know they have it?

Thanks for any answers about this.

-Kelli

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: G6PD deficiency

If a person in your family cannot eat fava beans, can't have medicines or drinks based on quinine (tonic water), can't go near naptha mothballs, and has been told to not use aspirin ... that would be a clue.

G6PD deficiency is a hereditary blood enzyme deficiency, and is similar to sickle cell anemia, thassalemia and hemophilia in that it is an inherited disorder of blood cells.

A simple blood test will show whether or not you have G6PD deficiency.

The prevalence is about 12% world wide on the x chromosome, but it is heterozygous, so a much smaller percentage actually express the problem.  Males are more likely to express the gene than females.  Females can be carriers and never have a problem (like hemophilia). 

G6PD offers some protection from malaria.  It is more common in populations where there have been periodic malaria outbreaks, and where there is no other factor supressing the gene.  It is high in Greeks, Kurdish Jews, Parsis, Zoorastrians, American Blacks, Thais, many Arab groups ... many others, but those are the ones I remember at the moment.

karmicwonder

I thought I had replied with a thank you.

That is much clearer.

Thanks.

CCartwrightJones
admin

Here's the slam dunk total brain weasel fully referenced academic paper on the subject:  http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/geog6pd.5.pdf

You'll never look at henna and indigo the same.