Sugar

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
MMLisle1023
Sugar
Any opinion on powdered sugar vs. regular refined sugar?
Jen
Re: Sugar
Powdered sugar has cornstarch or some other filler added to improve its "flow." This will affect your henna! It will be more likely to dry out and crack, or alter the texture in ways you're not expecting. Think about what it does to gravy! Of course it won't hurt anyone, so if you want to try I would mix up two tiny batches and try them side by side!

There are some other sugar choices you might want to try. Many people use honey or molasses, but I find the texture can change on you in the freezer. It does give a very nice flow in fresh paste though. Also try nutra sweet or dextrose. It is a differently shaped molecule than the sucrose in your table sugar and it can give a paste that is extra silky and flows off the spoon in ribbons without being too loose.

Sugar is one of those parts of paste where you can gain a lot from experimentation. Paste texture preference is a personal thing, and can really affect your work!
MMLisle1023
Re: Sugar
Oh, okay. Thanks for the tip! I think I'll try the honey because most of the henna I do is fresh, and I think we might already have some in my home. Thanks!