Festival Gear Suggestions

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
KJ
Festival Gear Suggestions

Hi All!

It's time for me to start gearing up for the festival season.  Its been a few years for me so I need a few things.  I have a steady gig at a weekly downtown farmer's market among some random other things up here in the great white north.  I was wondering if any of you had some good suggestions on where to get some stuff at a good price.  I could use a rug, some tapestries/table coverings/fabric, and I would really like to do the 3 tiers of seating that I believe the lovely ladies at Henna Caravan employ.  I can certainly come up with the foot stool, but I'll need the mid sized stool and the tall chair (preferrably a captain chair that folds up for easy transport).  I have a tent, though it's seen better days.  It will work for the time being, but if anyone has a miracle site that has inexpensive good tents that would be great too.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone.

KJ

Jen
Re: Festival Gear Suggestions

All my fabric, rugs, and decorations have been collected over a decade from who knows where. I can't offer any instruction there. Walmart has black, colapsable, mid-height stools for $15. They also have wonderful colapsable foot stools too! My tall chair is not the director style everyone else uses. I got a "Franklin" bar stool that has a back, and folds way smaller than a director chair, and its SO very lightweight. When I got mine they were only $29, and now they're $39... still way more affodable than director's chairs!

On a side note, I find that for short, half day markets I prefer a big patio umbrella to a tent. Much easier to haul around town.

KJ

Thanks Jen, I'll definitely look those chairs up.  As for the umbrella, that sounds like a great plan, any suggestions on where to find a good reasonably priced one?  For the farmer's market I'll be on pavement, other than I bucket full of cement how would I secure it?  Of course I can do a bucket of cement, but if there's a lighter weight option I'm all ears.

Jen

I got my umbrella on sale in fall at low's. They were getting rid of the patio funrature so I lucked out. The base is heavy so there's no nead to secure it... another plus!

I use half cinderblocks to hold down my tent. I put the leg through the hole (two to each leg, stacked up) and let it rest on the foot. This only works if there's a little tab of metal sticking out of the foot!

There are lots of homemade ideas, like filling pvc pipe with sement and strapping it to the poles of the tent. Do a google search and I bet you'll find a lot of good ideas!

KJ

Thanks again Jen, I'll have to keep a look out for maybe some spring sales or something for the umbrella.  I do have weights for my tent, I was just worried about the umbrella.  I've got the filled pvc pipes.  I've had them for years and they're awesome.  Mine are filled with sand since it's readily available to me and free.  They have a hole drilled in the top with washers (to keep in the sand) and a big eye hook so I use straps with hooks on them to tie them to the tent at all 4 corners and that sucker doesn't go anywhere.  Being right on Lake Superior, we can get a bit windy from time to time.

shul
Try mosquito netting. I hang it from a tree branch. It looks pretty and keeps the bugs out, gives a little privacy and it is lightweight and easy to cart around. Add a rug and a couple of pillows..instant henna souk. Best Wishes, Shul