having a stall and others doing 'black henna' all around me!

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
frutbunn
having a stall and others doing 'black henna' all around me!

Hi everyone!

Did a huge tattoo last weekend but m hoping too go to puck fair next menth.  Oldest in Ireland!!!   on a mission to warn people about the dangers of 'black henna' 

Do i react if i see others doing black or carry on with my own business???

Many thanks,

Karen

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: having a stall and others doing 'black henna' all around me!

Print out the materials from http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/infopak.html and take those to the festival organizers.

Take time out to point out the dangers to the people in charge of the festival and remind them that THEY are apt to be named in a lawsuit if there are injuries.

Get the names of the PPDslingers and turn those into the local health department with the same printout.  Tell them that they're probably going to get injury reports and this will be the cause of the injuries.

THOSE are the people who can actually do something.  If you confront the slingers .... you'll probably get resistance, denial, anger and all manner of annoyance.  Turn them in to the authorities who can shut them down.

frutbunn

I emailed the organiser and wrote a lengthy but comprehensible email regarding black henna and told him to look up PPD online.

His reply to me was 'how big is your table?'  The festival i did few weeks ago was great in that when i emailed that organiser and told him i do not and never will do the black he replied that if i said i did it he wouldnt have let me work there.  I also got a chance to slip into conversation with every customer how dangerous it is.

But for this guy to just ask 'how big is your table' is almost laughable.  Im still intent on going, but will be vocal enough to every person i meet there.  I think youre right though about discreetly getting names of people doing it, as i have a feeling there will be.

Many thanks,

Karen

Maggie

I had to deal with this a week ago, I had a booth within sight of my booth slinging "Deathpaste" so here's what we did. First my husband went down and told the guy what he was doing is banned by Health Canada and that it's severely dangerous and then he went to the organiser's office. They did squat. Everytime we saw someone go by with it on we'd immediately bring them over to our booth explain the situation and help them remove that crap (which ended up on me, my husband and my garbage can lid) So then we printed off a few of the black and white brouchures from here in HP (Thank you CCJ) and made them very prominate at our booth and when we saw another victim we'd had them a brouchure, clean them up and tell them to go back and demand a refund. After that both my husband and photographer went back down to this guys booth and started yet another argument. Usually this isn't how I do things especially with the business but the louder and bigger the situation got the more people were hearing it and the less customers he had. We had one girl just about to get it done and my husband told her what was going on her skin and she got up, got her money back and came down to my booth then sent her sister with some made up story to get the guy's card.

After closing on the last day I went down and told him face to face that I am contacting Health Canada, the City of London and I am going to be very vocal with the organisers of Sunfest. I ended up with food poisoning last week so I am going to be taking care of all that this week.

Do not be afraid to speak up. My belief is if you knowingly let someone get hurt (and they will with deathpaste) you might as well have put that stuff on them yourself. This stuff is dangerous! It is our duty to make sure people know the truth and that they are safe.

Oh and the best part? I gave the jerk slinging deathpate the hennapage site for the "black henna" info and he said he already knew this page!!! So he knows what he's doing and don't care, which is much worse then not knowing in my books.

Hennacat
admin

Frutbunn, Are you based in Ireland as in Europe?

frutbunn

Hi Hennacat!

I am indeed in Ireland as in Europe :)

I'm in Cork.  The fair is on in only a few weeks but this guys emails (consisting of about 5 words, none of them a greeting or a signing off!!!) seem so ignorant, and seem to magnify that 1). I have explained ppd so elequently that it is a given that he will not tolerate anybody using it......... or 2).  He couldnt care less.  Unfortunately, i reckon it is the latter. 

At this stage, its not the ppd issue anymore.... I have NO intention of keeping my mouth shut, and will be watching very closely to see if it is being done.  I am steering well clear and i always explain it to clients anyway, so i am doing as much as possible to inform the public.  What i find annoying in the extreme, is this guys sheer lack of caring... he hasnt acknowledged any mention of what i wrote to him.  THAT is what i find annoying.  Its like me writing to a shop that has given free cigarettes to a 5yr old, and their response is to ask how i am, plain and simple.  Do i make sense?

Thanking you,

Karen.

desertholly

frutbunn,

in defense of the festival guy, if the festival is coming up that soon, and if he's shorthanded, and if it's as disorganized as many festivals have been (or even if it's well organized), he may just have so much on his plate right now that your message never really connected with the focused part of his brain just now. 

I generally prefer to give folks the benefit of the doubt.  While we are knowledgeable and very aware of the ppd issues, to many people it just isn't on their radar screen in the same way.  Yes, it's part of our job to bring them to that point, but timing can make a difference.  You might make an appointment to sit down with him after the festival, when he's not under a bunch of deadlines and dealing with multiple vendors and their problems. 

I figure long term results are worth a little planning and patience. 

Then again, he may just not care.  Anyway, more power to you!

Hennacat
admin

Maggie, 

You are a passionate supporter of real henna and the slayer of deathpaste vendors! In the spirit of this forum and the different types of people reading this, with different levels of experience and confidence I would just like to reiterate that Maggie did have other people with her who were able to assist her with confronting the deathpaste vendor. 

How have people other people dealt with this when they have been on their own at an event? Or how do others who do not have the confidence / experience to square up to intimidating people deal with this?

In my case, I found a Police officer, showed him the HP black henna warnings, knew the by law they were breaking about street busking and got the deathpaste vendor moved. I also heard, from his point of view, that he was one of many people working on the streets for some employer and he was just doing what he was told to do. He had no idea.

cat x

Nene
Sort of off topic... A friend of mine just got back from the middle east with deathpaste eyebrows and a tube of rhe stuff. The sisters asked me to draw on them with it. I refused naturally. I explained why and showed them pics of what it can do. Unfortunatly unless one of them or someone they know doesn't get hurt the point won't get through... Here is what I did... Everyone is always looking for the darkest stain.. So I gave myself a full palm, left it on over night and waited for the rich dark color of natural well mixed henna to come out. Showed up at their house and guess what.. Natural henna is dark, they all wanted one... This time minus deathpaste. We can only educate and as Catherine pointed out speak to someone who will make a difference. Don't waist your time with vendors that make a living with that stuff. They very well know, but, the $ is good to them and when they leave they do not need to see the effects it has on some. Just do ur best to educate and you have done all you can. There are many things happening in the world we can't stop, but, we can be heard with people that WANT to listen.
Maggie

So get this...I went to the last festival of the year here tonight and guess what I found? Another deathpaste slinger!! Different person this time but still from Toronto. So first I asked what was in their paste and when she stumbled over her words I told her exactly what she was using, took her business card and went to the organisers. Luckily these are the same organisers I deal with every year and who I know well, I explained the situation and their liability letting her use that stuff and I was told she'll be taken care of. So since I am going back Sunday I've printed out the ban, the NY Times article, and of course the info from here at HP and I plan if she's still there of telling her while people are around "When you're done poisoning that person here's some reading for you" and ploping it down on her table. HAHA I am not a vendor at this festival so they can't kick my booth out > :) I am so sick and tired of these people, especially since you KNOW that they aren't ignorant about what they're doing, then know damn well. I am also using her as an example in my workshop tomorrow afternoon and I've contacted Health Canada already. Gotta keep up the fight ladies (and gentlemen)!!

frutbunn

Maggie,

good on you!  I must say, after reading the posts, the conclusion is the black stuff will still be around, regardless of the info available.  I reckon many festival organisers know very little about henna.... as do potential clients.  The festival im at is less than 2 weeks away, so im clear enough on the scenario.  I show up, meet the organiser, (Try to) talk to him about the deathpaste, keep an eye out for others who might be using it, discreetly get their details, tell everyone who passes about the dangers of it and at the end of the festival, talk again to the organiser (if need be) and tackle passing details of deathpaste slingers (if any... but i rather suspect there will be!) to the powers that be.

I will report back here after the festival. 

Thanks everyone for the support and advice!  :)

Karen