very light stain from celebration henna

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
karmicwonder
very light stain from celebration henna

Hi. I'm new here. And very new to henna.

I will tell you what I did.

I mixed my henna with lemon juice and sat it on my proch for about 10 hours. It was a very hot day. I then added terps and....oops...I let it sit out over night. I forgot about it.

I put it in the fridge and couldn't get to it for about 36 more hours. I dance and garden and was so I sweat a lot and am often very dirty. I didn't feel the henna had a good chance to have staining time under those circumstances.

Last night I finally had the opportunity to make a design on the top of my hand. I am an artist by profession so the drawing was fairly easy and I was very excited about my design. I let the henna paste dry and applied new skin...which I will NEVER apply again. I  still can't get it all off....and yes I used nail polish remover.

Anyway...the stain was VERY light....too light to see the design.

I did however notice that on areas on my left hand ( my dominant/working hand) , there were spots where I was messy and got some henna paste on it, and only wiped it off with a paper towel. I didn't wash it off. THOSE areas have a darker stain than where the paste was left on over night.

I did NOT wrap any part. I only sealed with the new skin.

I am wondering if the light stain on the back of my right hand is because I left the mix out over night and it was no longer very strong. Or if it is because it was on the back of my hand?

Or a combo of the two?

I also have a couple of other questions. One: I cut my tip with a knife very close to the end and I do not get the super fine lines I am seeing in other people's work. Two: the paste seemed to swell a little on my hand  after application. Why?

Any input is deeply appreciated. Thank you.

-Kelli

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: very light stain from celebration henna

Its my experience that Celebration has a very fast release.  I found a gradual degrading of stain after 18 hours past mixing ... but this isn't everyone's experience.

Also .... we did a lot of tests in house and sent more out for other people to test.  I got a lousy stain on one person's palm (though extremely dark on her forearm) .... and that was probably because of some environmental condition, stress or other.  about 80% of the tests came out ... well .... freekin amazing. That's not to say every application will be spectacular.  Skin is the final hurdle. 

Back of the hand rarely stains as dark as the palm of the hand, though we've seen darker back of hand at 3.4% lawsone than anything else. 

I got my best stains with no seal at all .... just fructose in the paste, so it stuck down like road tar on bare feet in July.

the point is .... if you start with a batch that tests at 3.4% lawsone you know you've got a better chance of getting killer stain than you would if you started at 2.2%, or if you had no idea what you were starting with.  Its not a guarantee, but its one variable that you don't have to guess at.

karmicwonder

Yeah. I am inclined to think it was a combo of allowing the henna to sit too long and maybe the back of my hand. I think I will try the design again as well as one on my palm...right now..with this batch. And mix a new batch and try to keep my mental faculties together enough to remember the stuff! I have a rather extensive amount of  permanent tattoo work and might look a bit over done with all the henna experiments. But...that is the beauty of henna...it is temporary.

Thanks for your reply! And to clarify...I don't think it is because of the henna itself. I just wanted to be specific about explaining how I did what I did.

Sarah

I also got a very light stain with Celebration. Can barely see it under flourescent light and it's pinkish-orange in sunlight. Better on the palm side than on the back side of my hand, but still very faint.

I mixed a Tbsp of Celebration with a Tbsp lemon juice, let it sit for 6 hours at 76 degrees. I added my terps (1/4 tsp of mixed cajeput and lavender EOs) and my sugar (about 4 tsp fructose). I didn't get to use it last night, so I put it in the fridge and applied a small design this morning after letting it warm up a little on the countertop. It sat on my hand for two hours without drying (stayed very tacky, like glue that's half-dry), and I finally had to wipe it off because I didn't have time to wait for it to dry and I don't own a hairdryer.

Should I have let it sit longer? shorter? Less fructose? More lemon juice? What do I need to do to get it to stain nice and dark? I have a friend's birthday party in five days, and if this doesn't work I have no henna to use on her. There's no time or money to order more and I don't want to risk anyone's health using the premixed stuff from the Indian grocery store.

CCartwrightJones
admin

Try using it 12 - 18 hours from intial mixing.  I would use 1 tsp fructose for 8 teaspoons of henna.  You used waaaaaaaaaaay too much fructose!

I think everyone's going to have a slightly different optimal mix.  Just like any other henna. 

Sarah

I suspected too much fructose. It flows from the cone nicely, but it dries like molasses. Oh, well, it was just a little batch, so not much wasted, and there's time to mix up a new batch. I guess I'll add this bit to the rest of my practice paste (I have a carrot bag with old paste that I use to play with on paper).

Thanks!