Black/UV light and long gone henna design

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Noa
Black/UV light and long gone henna design
One of my customers contacted me and happily told me about her long lost henna design on her hand ( 1 month ago) re appeared brightly when in Black light. What is the chemical explanation for that?
CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Black/UV light and long gone henna design

I heard of that once before ... a long time ago.  I have had plenty of henna over the last 20 years, so one would think I would light up pretty good under blacklight ... nothing though.  This may be very unusual.

There are definitely some residual effets of henna long after the stain is gone, but I haven't seen documentation or analysis.

Jen

Could it be that protection from the sun from the henna would cause that part of the skin to glow brighter in black light?

Noa
That was my line of thought, although in order to move closer to scientifically solving this, someone with a uv light and tan lines can let us know :)
Another thought: The acidity from the lemon in the paste+ the body heat and the fact that my client protected her design from water for the longest time.
So the area where the design was has a lower PH verses the surrounding skin?
ladytetsu

my new steroid vitiligo positively GLOWS under blacklight, and that's a plain old lack of pigment.  My henna tanlines also glow, but not as much.  I should get pix. . . how does one shoot in UV with UV filters, anyway? lol