Abu Dhabi outlaws henna contaminants

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
CCartwrightJones
admin
Abu Dhabi outlaws henna contaminants

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/589665-abu-dhabi-bans-chemicals-to-darken-henna

"the dyes would be “immediately confiscated and appropriate legal action will be taken against the offender, which may go as far as closing the facility altogether, abolishing its commercial license, preventing it from practicing business, and imposing a hefty fine.""

Poison people and lose your business license!  YES!

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)
Re: Abu Dhabi outlaws henna contaminants

Hooray 

vampkat

That is AWESOME!!

ladytetsu

First, Abu Dhabi. . . next, THE WORLD!!!!

score one for the good guys!

CCartwrightJones
admin

Here's what I like about it ....... good old fashioned scientific research, carefully documented, peer reviewed and published moved this through into law!

LemonSugarHenna

*sigh* of relief. I get at least one client per festival who has had the

yuck put on them. That includes two 11 year old girls who carry scars

on their backs to this day from Venice Beach black henna (anti) artists.

Kudos for Abu Dhabi!

CCartwrightJones
admin

And the second excellent installment: http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/health/salons-warned-against-using-adulterated-henna-1.636485

Clients are urged to call and report!

Nene

I cant wait till the world gets this...

Just today I was talking to a East Indian lady who comented on my henna and I am not happy with the stain on the back of my hand.. Her suggestions where to use Black Henna...NO!!! Its harmful. Then she said add Coffee... NO!! I dont like giving peeps jitters.. I pulled out my iPhone and showed her HennaPage's Black henna warning and pics..asked if she would let me do that to her daughter...U should have seen her face!!!! Hopefully she will speak up next time she is about to get a "Black Crap" Henna

Nicole

This is really awesome!  I'll have to show this to my Somali peeps when they rave about "khidab".

what's wrong with putting coffee in henna?

glossgirl

This is a bit off-topic, but I want to pipe up here. I was in the UAE recently, and I came away extremely impressed. The authorities had just finished fining a bunch of pet store owners for doing something illegal (I forget what) and part of the punishment was the owners had  to sign a pledge that they understood what they had done was wrong, why it was wrong, and they'd never do it again. They were also fined.

Still OT but at least hair-related, I also got one of the best hair styles I've ever had. The stylist did spiral curls with an old-fashioned curling iron (I wouldn't recommend this too often-- it's pretty hair-damaging.) He spent over an hour seemingly curling each individual hair. I looked fabulous, and I had curls for a week!

CCartwrightJones
admin

Khidab has problems.  See: http://www.hennapage.com/henna/encyclopedia/khidab/injuries.html

Caffiene is transdermal and can give a henna client the jitters, and henna/coffee smell is nasty.  If you don't mind nasty smell and insomnia, I suppose its just fine.

Nicole

Oh that is so interesting!  No one could tell me what khidab was, but the one time I saw it done, it was a bottle of powdered black hair dye, mixed with probably water.  The first ingredient on the box was PPD.  I guess the natural khidab isn't available here, or easy to make.  I wonder if that's why people say that black henna isn't dangerous, because they don't know the difference between PPD and khidab?  If they just use carbon and plant resin, is it safe?  Also, my husband was saying that the stain lasts a lot longer than henna, from the article, I gathered that it only stains if it contains PPD.  (If PPD is so dangerous, why is it in hair dyes in the first place !?)

I didn't know that about caffeine, would that be similar for using tea then?

Hmm...nasty smell and insomnia...sounds like the first couple weeks of motherhood ;)

eli19

I live in Dubai and there is plenty of pure henna available at the traditional spice souk (market).  However, the sellers are keen to sell you terps to add to the henna to make it "black" (just say no).  Most sellers don't have any idea what chemicals are in these terps.  However, you are free to buy just the powdered henna of your choice on its own.  A little knowledge goes a long way!  

p.s. I haven't been here in a long time and had no idea the layout had changed -and improved so much.  I had to open a new account but I am still "old eli19"