Sugar Preference for Mixing

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mestina
Sugar Preference for Mixing

I'm really new to henna and I have an order of 2010 Jamila on it's way to me right now.  I live in Central Illinois and from everything I've been reading, adding sugar to help it maintain moisture/stick to the skin is important.  I've been playing around with some henna that I got a few years ago, not the greatest stuff old and outdated doesn't stain for anything, and I've been mixing it with regular table sugar, but I'm concerned that it's going to be a bit to gritty when mixing.  I have a store that I can purchase really fine pure dextrose or fructose that appears to be almost powdery fine compared with standard sugar.  So, hoping to hear some thoughts or opinions on this. Thanks in advance!!!

Jen
Re: Sugar Preference for Mixing

If you let your paste stand a little while after you add the sugar it will all disolve just fine without any graininess.

Some people I know dislove the sugar right into their lemon juice before they mix.

Dextros will melt right into your paste almost imediately.

I find that honey and molasas muck up the works for me and clog cones that have been frozen, however I know lots of very compitent henna artists who do just fine with those kinds of sugar.

Mestina

Thanks for the information, very helpful.  Now I just have to have the patience for my henna to arrive and get to mixing.  :)

Maggie

I used to use either regular white sugar or brown sugar melted into my lemon juice before adding it to the henna but recently I've switched to "Sugar Twin" and just add it to the powdered henna without try to dessolve it into the lemon juice. I made the switch mainly for the stringier texture and the ability to drape longer lines without breakage. To each their own, just remember humidity can turn sugary/honey mixtures into mud.

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

I use table sugar  because it is readily available and inexpensive. And it dissolves in the henna with no problems at all. In Ohio you won't need much because I hear it is quite humid all the time... 

Our humidity got up to 45 % and it feels so sticky and icky here this week. lol