Jamila '10 results

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Maggie
Jamila '10 results

Hi everyone!

Well I know that a few shops have had their Jamila '10 come in but I am not finding any  "results" anywhere so I thought I'd ask before buying my next kilo. Is '10 better or worse then '09 (which was perfection to me)?

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Jamila '10 results

I tried a sample ... good, but not as good as Celebration, so I didn't order any.

Maggie

How does '09 stack up to Celebration Catherine?

CCartwrightJones
admin

Since I KNOW that every batch shipped out from Abid and Co (Jamila) has a different profile (because I send it to a lab) .... I really can't comment on "how does 2010 compare to 2009?"    Every batch is going to be different.  I've got mine, and other people have theirs.  (Yes, people are going to shriek and scream, but if people haven't sent their henna out for assay, its just noise, it's not numbers.  Only NUMBERS matter.  If other folks aren't sending their shipments to a lab, that's their decision.  If the numbers don't matter to you, that's your decision.  I've got grad projects that require numbers, so I do what's necessary.)

It was good henna.  Jamila is always good henna.  The sample I got was good but not fabulous. I happened to land three tons of fabulous with Celebration.  No particular reason to spend more money on "good" when I've got  a mountain of "fabulous" on the floor.  

I didn't do a huge test because I just had shoulder surgery and slinging is severly curtailed right now. Maybe somebody done better than me.  Ask for proof. 

CCartwrightJones
admin

"How does '09 stack up to Celebration Catherine?"

Celebration was part of the 2009 sequence ... BUT .... every shipment I got from 2009 was different. I know this because I sent them all out for lab assay.  Results were mostly in the low 2% range, and then I got this startling shipment right at the END of the season that tested at 3.4%.  So .... there's no way to answer that question. 

Henna isn't Jello.  Its an agricultural product.  Every field of henna is different.

jamilahhennacre...

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but when I mixed my Celebration as instructed on the celebration thread... it didn't do anything for me.  Yes it stained, but nothing spectacular.  I just tried a box of 2010 and it was great.  I fully understand that there are certain crops that do better than others, but there may also a box or two within a batch that is bla.. could this be the case with the 100g of celebration I got? 

CCartwrightJones
admin

Its a finite batch, but agriculture is agriculture.  Also ... everybody has an off day.  Every person's skin is different. The point of the tests is that lawsone is now quantified ... down to .002%   (not 2% as some people say who would like to ignore the usefulness of lab testing claim).  With the test, the lawsone variable is no longer a mystery.

Mailing in summer heat may degrade the lawsone's effectiveness.  We can't do anything about that.

I test because I'm required to do so for the dissertation and a med school that's working on henna tests.  The FDA wants lawsone quantified if its gonna make henna legal for use on skin. If the FDA wants lawsone numbers so we can all be legal ... I'm gonna run tests.

Noa

Last year a bunch of you on the forum were very closed minded to my observations of all different batches of Jamila from the same year. I felt the anger and resentment towards me and decided to decline from the forum for a long time. I had no numbers to prove to all of you what I saw, smelled and experienced. I was ridiculed by some and was deeply hurt.

I am SO THANKFUL that CCJ happend to prove those ongoing observations for her own research with logic and numbers. 

As to Jamila 2009- the batch I got from a few sources were very different. The stringier, with differant color and smell one from Henna Muse was better than the one from Caravan although not by much-I am sure that if they would have been tested there would have been a sight difference in % of Lawson. I did not care for either too much. 

These days I use Purity and Celebration and combine the two after baby sitting them differently. The results are PHENOMENAL- I get the gratifying quick stain + the areas hard to stain all in one. I had a hard time in the beginning getting away from the "kiss" kinda recipe, and I finally opened my mind to "Watch my batches very carefully not "overcook" them or "undercook" them. Different temp' in the house will determine the final results.

As for Jamila 2010  I may purchase samples from different certified shops on line for the pure curiosity and fun, who knows? I may find a strong batch by chance. Although, if money is tight and I want a sure thing, than I personally would wait to read about the Lawson test results + Catherine honest opinion which I trust. I used to do that with Jen from Henna Muse whom I loved her honesty as well as her super strong Jamila 2007 and fall Raji 2006/2007

mamaherrera

Please help me clarify something as I have my first bag of this same jamila crop.  How long for dye release if used with just warm water?  Other vendors have said it requires twelve hours for dye release, and others say it is immediate.  What is a good base/estimate for that?

Jen

I've never heard of any Jamila that was ready immediately. I'd start with 12 hours, and check with a test on the heal of your hand. Keep checking ever few hours until you get bright orange after leaving the paste on just a few minutes. Usually, with most batches, I leave Jamila stand 24-48 hours at room temp!

mamaherrera

I figure nothing's going to be perefct all the time.  But find something you can trust pretty much and go with it.  As long as it gets my hair to a different color then white, I'm happy!!