Purity Henna... please help!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Catline
Purity Henna... please help!

I've been doing henna for going on 5 years but I'm fairly new to this forum (browsed around a lot before actually signing up). This is the first time I've encountered anything I really felt compelled to ask about... so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I recently bought some Purity Henna for a friend who would like bridal henna done for her wedding later this month. My problem is, although I often mix my own henna, its never been all that important that it be really *dark* so I was never concerned that my mixes didn't come out that way. Now, she wants something really visible, but I can't seem to make it work. She has darker skin  which makes a darker stain a necessity if it's going to be visible.

Its been really hot (~90F+) so I've tried a variety of times/recipes/etc. with no luck. I then tried to cool (and therefore slow) things down (near my AC where it's in the upper 60s) thinking I might get the dye release at just the right point, but that didn't seem to help much either. Here's my basic recipe: Lemon Juice, little bit of table sugar, little more honey, lavender and tea tree oils.

I'm gathering that it's better to add terps and sugar awhile after the lemon juice so I'll definitely try that, but I'm still clueless about dye release. I prefer the method where you put the paste into a bag and wait for the dye to seep through and color the paper, but when exactly is the right point to add the terps/sugar and how orange should my paper be? In a few of my trials I knew that I had let things go too long because the paper was a deep orange/red. Being paranoid, I then did a couple where the paper had just been barely tinged. Am I missing the happy medium?

At this point it's beyond just what I'm trying to do for my friend... I'd really like to be able to offer people the best possible stain, and, besides, the fact that can't get it to work is kinda ticking me off and making me all the more resolved to figure it out! ; )

Thanks in advance for the help! My friend and I are both very appreciative!

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Purity Henna... please help!

Try 1 hour dye release at 95F, terp, wait two hours and get ready to work!  I wouldn't let henna sit around that long in the heat.

Make sure the skin is totally cleared of lotion, perspiration and oil before you start to work.

Skip the honey.  Honey releases peroxide that bleaches the lawsone.  If you want stringy henna, use dextrose.

Catline

Thanks! I'll give it a try tonight and let you know how it goes!

Nicole

Is there a formula for figuring out dye release based on the temperature?

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

no formula, you have to mix and test at high temperatures to see how it works.

The down side is that if you let it sit at 95 degrees , your stain will not last as long usually.