Major Health Concerns regarding a black temporary tatto

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
penguin22
Major Health Concerns regarding a black temporary tatto

Hello all,

So I am new to this site and I apologize if this post annoys some people, but I could definitely use some advice.  Two weeks ago I went on vacation to Boracay.  On the beach I saw that they had several stands advertising temporary henna tattoos.  When I was in India I had a henna design on my arm and leg and really liked it.  I assumed this would be the same thing, so stupidly I got one done on my ankle and foot.  The henna was  black and from researching on this site I now realize how dangerous the black henna was.  I had the tattoo on for less than 24 hours when I decided to wash it off.  Most of it came off, but I ended up scraping off some skin while rubbing out the tattoo.  I just really didn't want to let that toxic PPD set into my skin.  I haven't had an allergic reaction yet, but I am keeping an eye out for it.

My main concern right now is transmission of HIV and Hepatitis C via the henna applicator.  I am pretty sure that the artist used a Moroccan syringe and I'm pretty sure it had not been sterilized.  I didn't see this as cause for concern because I just thought the henna paint would be going onto my skin.  However, as the artist traced over the drawn design with the henna, the applicator was touching my skin.  I don't believe it pierced the skin, but he did get a little rough when he was tracing over my ankle. However, there wasn't any blood or scratches once the tattoo was finished.   

Now I realize that I was an idiot for not doing proper research into this and I deeply regret that.  I would just like some insight, as to whether or not I could have contracted something from the applicator.  I plan to get tested next week, but the anxiety is absolutley killing me.  Does anyone have any advice or reassuring words? 

Jen
Re: Major Health Concerns regarding a black temporary tatto

I edited the headline of your post to remove the word "henna." What you had is not henna at all and calling such a dangerous product "henna" has been an upword battle and a scar on an industry that is very concerned about safety. 

It would be almost impossible to spread a bloodborne pathogen via a henna applicator. If he drew blood with the tip on someone before you, then did the same for you, it would be possible. I can't image that's a very likely scenario. I'm not able to offer actual medical advice, so I would none-the-less suggest you see your doctor for tests if you are concerned.

You should be concerned about the PPD though, even if you didn't have a reaction. This is a sensitizing chemical which means that every exposure will give you a greater risk of reaction. I would try to avoid it in the future.

penguin22

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I have asked a doctor and a nurse and they think I should be fine, but I'm still very concerned. As far as the PPD goes, I found out about that after I got my tattoo and so I rubbed off the tattoo after having it on for about 15 hours. Is there a chance that the ink did not have a chance to fully seep into my body and therefore not cause a terrible reaction? 

Since PPD is in more hair dyes, are their any kinds of hair dyes that would be safe for me to use?

penguin22

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I have asked a doctor and a nurse and they think I should be fine, but I'm still very concerned. As far as the PPD goes, I found out about that after I got my tattoo and so I rubbed off the tattoo after having it on for about 15 hours. Is there a chance that the ink did not have a chance to fully seep into my body and therefore not cause a terrible reaction? 

Since PPD is in more hair dyes, are their any kinds of hair dyes that would be safe for me to use?

Jen

Yes there are hair dyes without ppd. They are just harder to find! You can use plant dyes such as henna or indigo. You can also use many temporary dyes and rinses. Just check your labels! You won't be able to find permenant chemical dyes in dark colors without PPD. That's when you'll have to turn to natural plant dyes.

cross101

You've just panic too much! I've been to Boracay and tried their henna tattoo, I think if they know that is toxic they won't use it. No thing wrong with me.

If you don't want the tattoo coz you think that's toxic removing through rubbing it will cause rushes that would most probably harm through rubbing it. Let someone removed it from you, I think they know what to do on how to remove the henna entirely

Jen

Beware! Just because you got a black "henna" and didn't have a reaction does not mean its OK. Every exposure will have a greater risk of reaction. Reactions can eventual become dangerous. 

No, you can't assume that they wouldn't use it if they know its toxic. First off they might just be dumb. Second off, they just might not care! Dangerous products and services are sold to make money every day and everywhere around you!