How to get consistant color from hand to shoulders

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
shereenkhan120
How to get consistant color from hand to shoulders

Henna color is darkest on the palm, then on the hands and it keeps on getting lighter depending on the thickness of the skin layer as explained by Cathrine in her henna pages.

I have seen the results on most of the well known henna artists on facebook they are also suffering from this problem. However, I have seen some people getting consistent color starting from the hand to the elbow. I can understand that they might be using henna pastes with dangerous chemicals (as I discuessed in my last post such henna cones being sold here in pakistan as emergency cone)! What surprises me are Kim Bremen's henna results, they really amaze me. She is able to achieve consistent color from hand to the elbow and I don't expect Kim to be using any dangerous chemicals. I am really anxcious to know how does she achieve this? Does anyone amongst you or Kim herself (if she is on this forum) kindly explain how to get such results.

Malynda
Re: How to get consistant color from hand to shoulders

From my own personal experience, I get extremely even color from hand to shoulder, but that is because I can't put essential oils in henna I use on myself.  Without oils, the stain doesn't penetrate as deep into thicker layers of skin = even penetration, less variance in color.  The downside is that henna without oils doesn't stain quite as dark nor last as long.

Backs of hands and forearms usually have similar skin depth and texture, so it's easier to get color uniformity.  High-quality, fresh henna with the right amount of essential oils, proper dye release and making sure the paste is left long enough on skin should stain forearms very nearly as well as the backs of hands. 

shereenkhan120

thx Malynda for ur response. To emphasize my point I will give here the examples of Kim's photos

Particularly these two photos

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=145592&id=550376015#!/photo.php?pi...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4594883&id=550376015&fbid=39435999...

and then you can browse photos after this one

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=145592&id=550376015#!/photo.php?pi...

From her photos the following things are very clear:

* She is getting a very good stain (it implies she is using EOs)

* Stain is rather consistent

* It does get lighter as we move up the arm, but not as much as it is affected in other artists' work

I have seen Kim's henna stain immediately after removing paste, they are light orange and improve in next three days to dark brown, it implies that she is sticking to the relatively safe ingredients of acids and EOs.

Regards,

Shereen

CCartwrightJones
admin

Several of us have gotten more even stain higher up on the arm with Celebration than anything else.

Really high dye content, and some patience .... give that arm three days to bloom............ good terps and if you've got henna up over 3% lawsone, you're more likely to hit those "high notes".

Here's an example of extreme evenness with Celebration: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/celebrationfestival/celebrationluna7txt.jpg

That 3.4% lawsone seems to REALLY love arms and mid-body skin.

ladytetsu

CCJ is right, Celebration is wicked awesome stuff, I love it and I've gotten very very dark arms with it.

As to Kim's pix. . . yep, Kim uses safe henna, I've had the honor of having her work on me.  You'll note those shots are primarily the backs of her hands, and she uses the same basic recipes or close to it that we all use.  Also, please remeber, everybody stains differently, she may be doubly blessed, great talent and great henna-skin!

Use good fresh henna with high lawsone content, good safe oils, and a proven recipe, and wrap and seal and all that, and that sort of color is well within reach.  Some "fade" is perfectly natural - upper arm skin is quite different from and much thinner than knuckle or palm skin and you'd expect it to take the dye differently.  The better your henna, the better your stain overall, without hurting your clients! :)

Blurberrybuzz

this is what I get typically.  I used CCJ's Purity henna for this stain.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4769754771_6ed627b9dd_b.jpg

Good quality henna that has acheived good dye release, is well terped and left on for at least 4 hours does this every time for me.    I used this same henna a week later after it had been sitting out at a four day festival and then in the fridge and I have about the same color on my upper arm.

I got insanely dark results with the Celebration in areas that had no business staining so dark, like the elbow pit :)

Victoria

Samvit

I agree... the celebration henna gives a really even stain. The color was not bad with other hennas, but I've definately noticed the difference in evenness of the color.  From my fingertips to my elbow, there is almost no variation in color, just some negligibly darker color on my knuckles which is hard to notice unless you are trying.  Even the difference in color where my palm meets my wrist is less noticeable than usual.  I use a standard recipe, standard terps, etc.  Try the celebration and see what you get, I've had great results.