Rajasthani lasting power

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
jessinthedesert
Rajasthani lasting power

So another questions about the new raj....

I've experimented a little and my final recipe is basically the KISS with less dextrose b/c of the elasticity of the raj. I add lavendar and the caj/rosemary/wild thyme eo mix from the TDL site.

I dye released for about 16 hours in about 80 degrees...until it left an orange stain on my fingers within seconds.

What I've found is it applies great, takes a little longer to darken, gets a great color, but then seems to be disappearing quickly...within a week.

I put some on the top of my hand on a Saturday, sprayed it with lemon juice/sugar spray, left it on for three hours and scraped it off. It was unrecognizable by thursday.

I also put some on the side of my foot, wrapped it in cotton & press-n-seal overnight. I applied it on Sunday early evening, took it off Monday morning, it took until wednesday to get what I would consider it's full darkness, and now, thursday night, I fear some of it is starting to rub off already. I've been moisturizing daily to keep my skin from drying out & exfoliating.

Is it just my skin or something amiss with the mix?? Thanks!

Jen
Re: Rajasthani lasting power

If you're getting dark color then plenty of dye is getting into your skin and is built up in the surface layers of your skin, so I doubt its the henna that is causing a faster fade. It sounds more like your skin is in a mood to exfoliate faster than usual. This actually tends to happen in summer when you sweat more often! Also, as I'm sure you know alread, backs of hands and tops of feet tend to get a lot of friction throughout the day knocking of skin as you wear shoes and socks, wash, and such.

Everything in your mix sounds solid. I've been getting pretty good color with Twilight and I don't use any seal ever. Just out of curriosity it might be fun if you tried some without seal!

jessinthedesert

Thanks, Jen. Sounds good! I'll give it a try without seal. I just hope customers are getting better results than I am! :) 

Jen

Don't worry. There's a lot that can go wrong with you personally that could mess with stain or duration. Stress, medication, changes in hormones, or illenss can all mess with the way your skin will take up the dye. 

jessinthedesert

wow! That's interesting...I had not heard those factors affect that! Like I always say...there is way more to learn about henna than I ever imagined. cool, thanks! Some of the things on that list could definitely be the culprits! :/

Hennacat
admin

Hi Jess,

An interesting comparison you could do is to henna your leg or your arm as I find hands and feet are more prone to the designs getting sloughed off more quickly. Also the top of your foot is a good place to test as well.

Cat x

HennaYogin

I've been able to make designs on my arms last up to 2 months (keeping in mind that this is the maximum), but you really have to baby your skin.  I start every day by applying a very thin layer of petroleum jelly to the design, but I only do this once the stain has completely darkened.  Before I shower, I re-apply the petroleum jelly even if I had already done it that day, again, always in a thin layer.  Leaving the arm bare is better than having a shirt sleeve over it, as the friction can be a problem.  Blot the area dry after washing, don't wipe.  Stay out of the sun.  Avoid sunscreen (which will really reduce the lifespan of your design).  I hope this helps!