Olive Oil...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jobena1
Olive Oil...

Ok here's another question for the Henna Gods.....I stopped by my local pizza place the other day and front counter lady(yeah I know I probably should know her name since pizza is a weekly thing) and she was excited to see my hennaed hand(see paying attention to free advertising)....she said she was from Turkey...(mmmm my thoughts exactly are you married to that Italian guy...nope he from Turkey too...who knew???) She said when they lived in Turkey her Grandma was a Henna Lady( if there was a name in Turkish it passed right by me) she said she mixed with lemon and olive oil...thats it!! She said it makes a really dark stain....I have not tried it since I have Cajeput Oil and Naioli Oil in my fridge...but is that a terp?  I see for hair dyeing...but for BAQ? 

ACWN
Re: Olive Oil...

Just a mention from the hair side.. we normally dont recommend olive oil in a henna mix for hair because it can inhibit dye uptake, especially in dye resistant hair or when indigo is involved to make browns or black (as it doenst like oil). I know body art is different, but I just wanted to drop that for anyone new who happens to read this.

Jen

Nope, Olive oil is most certainly NOT a terp. It can also inhibit stain. 

Traditional family recipes are the worst for mistakes like this. "This is just the way we've always done it," is a great way to be seriously locked into a mistake. I bet she'd be SHOCKED to see how dark a stain can get with a little cajepute!

firestarr79

heck no don't use olive oil!! if anything, lemon juice is ok, but olive oil will ruin your stain. I use tea tree oil, andrinse my dried henna with lemonjuice, olive oil will keep the henna from binding tothe skin. camphor is also a stain darker,but most people don't like the smell. if you want your henna to take a black color, after leaving the henna on overnight, and removing the dried henna, pain household ammonia will turn your stain black, but the effects arevery harsh on thes skin, andyou're stain will not stay on as long