Twilight clogging?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
daydreamer
Twilight clogging?

Just purchased the Twilight, and mixed up my first batch.  After coning it, I went to try some out on the kids and had a hell of a time with it cloging up.  I couldn't even get through a simple line that wasn't even an inch long.  Used a papertowel to pinch out the clog and every single time it looked like a grain of sand.  I know from reading on here that it may sound like it has sand in it while mixing, but it should dissolve while you are waiting for dye release.  I let mine sit for 24 hours before coning and trying.  Does it need to sit longer?  Did I not do something right?  Or am I just gonna HAVE to sift it before using?

Jen
Re: Twilight clogging?

I'm certain its not actually sand. I haven't had this kind of trouble but I always strain my paste. Straining is much less messy than sifting, and I do it every time I make paste becaue it breaks up any lumps that didn't get mixed in properly. It also helps to dispers EOs. 

Also make sure you're not waiting until the very end to add the EOs. I've wondered if the EOs maybe help to disolve the calcium oxylate.

leapfrog

why would there be calcium oxylate in the henna?

Jen
daydreamer

I use the KISS method, so everything gets all mixed together at the very beginning of the process.  I guess I'll be sifting tonight.

daydreamer

So how do I go about straining it?

Jen

Like this: 

www.hennapage.com/henna/how/applystrain.html

And its really clean and easy. In fact if you strain right into a pastry bag wich you can use for storage and to transfer paste to cones or bottles, its not even a whole extra step! Just line your pastry bag with a nylon stocking.

arachnesmuse

My Twilight has been clogging like crazy and itslows me down so much! I strain every time, and still clogging. I have tried making the paste thinner, still clogging. I let the henna sit in the fridge. Even if i try an old cone a couple of weeks later, i still get clogs. So they are definitely not dissolving.

I am making a new batch today, I think I am going to try the old sift with a stocking and a bouncy ball trick. I think that should help. I think the mesh of the stocking stretches more when you strain the liquid through, since there is a lot of pressure. So I hope that sifting makes the difference.

I've been using super cheap stockings to strain, the gum ball kind. Has anyone ever noticed better results by straining with better stockings? I imagine they would have a finer knit.

Any advice would be welcome.