Rajasthani Twilight Dye Release

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
jessinthedesert
Rajasthani Twilight Dye Release

Just got some of the new Raj to try out but have questions about dye release. I've seen posts about anywhere from 12-36 hours...I'm in the midwest and my house these days is pretty consistently 69 degrees. I know the release range can be pretty flexible, but what are the factors with what you do to it after?

I usually mix in my terps right from the beginning- using the KISS recipe- then cone it, put some in the fridge for immediate-ish use and the rest in the freezer for later. Maybe this is a silly question, but what causes the dye to stop releasing? Anything? Putting it in the fridge? I know henna is best used fresh, but I sometimes have to throw it in the fridge and use it 'later'- a day or maybe two- can't always do it right before use...Right now I'm in the testing stages with the new Raj to gear up for my summer season.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Jen
Re: Rajasthani Twilight Dye Release

I'm in the midwest too, and my home temp is about the same!

I've been dyerealeasing for 6 hours for my hair, but that's with an apple juice mix. For body art I start with straight lemon juice and let it stand about 24, then thin it if needed with water. I put it in cones right then and there so that I can freeze it all and use it as needed. I suspect I'll want to shorten that when my house is warmer later in the season.

Marcy1414

I did a test run on this for mehndi and got pretty good results with about 16 hours. It's a pretty deep stain. I'm going to set up some for hair tonight and see if it'll be ready by tomorrow night. I will say, it wasn't very apparent that there was good dye release, however I used orange juice and a little lemon juice rather than straight lemon juice which I usually do.

Carrie, I hope you will share your recipe for the Mehndi stain that you achieved for the photo on the website and provide some recommendations for timing using just lemon juice for hair color. I will try to post before after photos if I get around to coloring my hair this weekend. 

Jen

Which photo?

ornatepelt

I stopped here to see if I could find info about the dye release time on the Raj Twilight because its been 24 hours for me and I still dont see any change. Im hopeing that by adding my terp and moving my henna to a warmer location (inside oven warmed by pilot with the door ajar) that I will see some dye release...Im getting nervous

Jen

Don't wait to see the dye release in your bowl or on a towl on the plastic wrap. Just try a bit on your hand. 

ornatepelt

Well this stinks, 3 days later and still no strong dye release. Very light color(on skin) nothing like the picture. Im very disappointed. Guess I'll end up just using this on my hair.

phoray

Are you people just adding water and leaving it alone? Because I've had amazing dye release with some water and lemon juice and then leaving it over night. I may be mixing it around 9-11 pm and slapping it on 9-11 am. I'm never exact on times, but the best way to know if it's released is to dip your finger in. Go rinse off and if your finger had turned slightly orange in as little as the 10-30 seconds the dye was on, that's a great stain to slap on your head!

And that's the Raj that died my finger in 15 seconds flat.

Jen

This post is under the body art forum phoray! Henna doesn't take to skin QUITE as easily as hair so mixing requires a little more prescision.