Henna for dry curly hair

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
novice_Alice
Henna for dry curly hair

What is the best henna to use for dry black curly hair?

I was looking for one with the highest dye content.

Would the "Dark of the Moon" work?

Carrie
Re: Henna for dry curly hair

The one with the highest lab-verified dye content is Celebration. Dark of the Moon is relatively high too but probably not as high as Celebration.

When your hair is naturally black, the color will only show as a red reflection in bright sunlight or when you're back-lit.

novice_Alice

I know, but I'm hoping the color would build up after multiple applications.

Is Celebration or Dark of the Moon easy to wash out? Or is it too harsh for dry, easily damaged hair like mine?

Carrie

All the hennas Catherine sells are finely sifted. The finest sift, as far as I've heard, is the one called Henna for African Hair. But I have heard people praise the fine sift of Celebration so I'm sure it's pretty good in that regard.

I wouldn't call henna "harsh" at all, or damaging in any way, but it is not a moisturizing treatment in itself (it strengthens hair and makes it thicker and shinier, for most people). You can do a moisturizing or deep conditioning treatment immediately after hennaing if you wish.

I'd suggest a strand test before you do your whole head. That way you can see if you like the effects of henna on your hair before you commit.

angie

Oh, great! I didn't know you could use a conditioner right after henna. I thought it would take color out. My hair is really dry too.

Carrie

People have gone to heroic lengths, trying to get henna out ... it doesn't happen by accident, that's for sure!