Troubleshoot Cone Rolling

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
arachnesmuse
Troubleshoot Cone Rolling

Some of my cones are just fine, but occasionally they start to unfurl on the inside and slow me down.  At first I thought I had clogs in the henna paste itself, but sifted and strained the paste ahead of time, so I looked closer at the cone.  I cut the tip a bit larger to allow more paste to flow through and when I looked closer I saw layers of the cone blocking the tip.

Has anyone else ever had this happen?  I know the more cones I roll, the better I will get, but I have been doing this a while and this is a new problem.  Any words of advice would be welcome!

Jen
Re: Troubleshoot Cone Rolling

Do you store your cones nested inside of each other? If the tape on the seem from one cone catches the layers of the cone its resting inside, it can cause the layers to slip and give you a headache like you described. This can also happen when you pull a pastry bag of paste out of the cone as you fill it. Do this gently or pinch the cone so that all layers stay in place when you pull out the bag. It may not be your cones at all but how you're handling them once made!

Some people find that their cones stay together better if they put a bit of tape on the inside of the seem. This caused me more grief than it relieved, but everyone's different!

arachnesmuse
Re: Troubleshoot Cone Rolling

I bet it is the pulling.  Sometimes I try to adjust the cone once it is already rolled, rather than just rerolling it completely.  Thanks for the advice!