How to fix cracking? (with pics)

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
DrC
How to fix cracking? (with pics)

Hi everyone.  I'm new to the forum and live in sunny, humid Florida.

I mixed my first batch of henna last yesertday morning - Jamila 2009 (Batch 031011) with some lemon juice (and diet soda - I ran out of lemon juice), a squirt of honey and some cajeput & geranium EO.  I had some evidence of dye release after only 8 hours (I mixed inside of a zippy bag and left it sit on a white paper towel, which started turning orange) so I went ahead and filled my cones......  

Application was pretty easy, it seemed like I had a pretty smooth paste (I sifted prior to mixing and strained it before filling my cones), but the finer lines cracked pretty badly and even today the larger design I tried is cracking.  What should I have done differently?  

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1908081159965&set=a.1909401752979.53717.1779915362&type=3&theater

Thanks!

Jen
Re: How to fix cracking? (with pics)

You just need more sugar. Its not a thing I can give you a specific measurement for though. It really depends on the weather. You need more on dry days and less on humid days. If you live in a place like I do this can be wildly different day to day!

Here's what I do. I mix my paste really stiff, almost like plaster, without terps or sugar, and I cover it for 8-12 hours. Then I add the EOs and a couple tablespoons of sugar and give it a stir. I walk away for about ten minutes giving the sugar a change to dissolve. You'll find that when it does the paste is also more looose. I just keep adding sugar like this untill the texutre is right. If I get to were I've added a 1/3 of a cup and its still too stiff, I add water until its right. TOO much sugar will get you a sticky, tar-like paste that never dries.

DrC
Re: How to fix cracking? (with pics)

Thanks Jen, that's very helpful! I'm guessing the house is pretty dry since we're running the A/C almost all day at this point, so I guess I need more sugar next time.