Landed a festival....ideas on what is needed??

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jobena1
Landed a festival....ideas on what is needed??

Hi Everyone,

I landed a festival and even though I have dabbled with it at other festivals...this one is just henna body art.  I am compliling 20-30 designs small to medium in size...with different price ranges of course.  It is a 2 day festival first day is ten hours...second day is 8 hrs.....any tips suggestions are very helpful....I am worried about keeping the henna cool (cooler is obvious)..design ideas..how much henna should I bring....I am using this as my first Henna only festival and want to do well....and for the 20.00 vendor fee they are expecting up to 5000 people for the first day.....sooo all ideas and tips are sooo welcome...thanks jobena 

Jen
Re: Landed a festival....ideas on what is needed??

A good rule of thumb is to figure that about 1% of those expected to attend will be interested in henna. That figure can vary depending on the venue or type of festival. I don't usually use it to help me decide how much henna to take, but it does help to decide if you want to invest in a festival.

Usually for festival work, I mix 50 g of powder into paste for each artist, for each day of work.

I like to wear an apron with pockets for cash and tools when I work alone at a festival. 

You'll want to have printed aftercare sheets with your contact information on them.

Safety pins, hair ties, and bungie cords WILL come in handy. Take a few of each.

Take some thing to work on if the days are slow. Henna on wooden boxes maybe???

If you have an android or iphone, get a square. Squareup lets you scan credit cars with a tiny little reader that plugs right into the headphone jack of your phone. The customer signs a recipt with their finger on your touch screen. The fees are way less than any other small scale plan that will allow you to accept card, even paypal! and doesn't even require a business bank account.

Be prepared for bad weather no matter the forcast!!!

good luck!

Hennacat
admin

It's a great question and one that is on my mind at the moment as I prepare for my summer season. In addition to what Jen has suggested I would add that it is a good idea to bring supplies of food and drink - things that you can nibble on throughout the day. For whatever reason the moment I start to think 'oh I am hungry and I can smell something awesome' a giant queue builds up and I can't get away for 2 hours! Although I could ask my booth babe to explain I am on a lunch break, I hate turning customers away, and it can take a long time to queue for and consume the food.

I definatley agree with all of Jen's questions, but most of all take something along to henna / do when you are not working. People like to watch craftspeople at work and it is much better for you to feel that you are doing something if customers aren't getting henna.

Good luck!

jessinthedesert

Great questions and great advice! I don't know what you've all done with henna before so I might say things that you know already...so sorry- dont' take it personally!

I second everything the others said. I haven't bothered with a card machine, most of the events I've done people know to bring cash. Just remember to bring change! There are times it just slips my mind because of everything else i'm trying to get in place. :D

Other things....

*DEF an info sheet with FAQs- you'll get the same ones all. day. long. :D

*I use a spray bottle of lemon juice & sugar & tell people to come back in ten mins to get it sprayed- helps it get darker and stick to their skin, and tell them to leave it on at least 3 hours.

*A friend! To help crowd manage: answer FAQs, spray the lemon juice, take $, make a list so you can just focus on the tats- and most important- keep you company if it's slow (mentioned above as 'booth babe':D)

*A small lunch cooler should be fine- especially since it's just two days- your henna should stay fresh if it's good stuff!

*Make sure you put out a tip jar!

Hope it goes well!

Jobena1

Hey thanks!!!

I am excited and have put alot of practice time in...and made sooo many recipes to "find" the darkest one....ok 2 months and about 300 gm of powder later...I got it....yippee....I have made the paste recipe and have gathered the supplies...have my 10 yr old on lemon juice spray and after care directions....thanks Cat....made list of "nibbles"    Thanks for all advice...I love to do henna so much and hoping I can get it to catch on in the area....we are quite the tourist destination...the POCONO's and I am in the center of multiple festival locals....maybe some day open me a little shop.