Just when I thought I had figured it out...

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
StellaLina7
Just when I thought I had figured it out...

I got my haircut. For the first time in my life, I got something that works amazingly well with my natural waves (which always looked frizzy, fluffy and ugly in the past) and I am in LOVE. 

This means, of course, that I am terrified of losing my new found waves. Since I've heard that henna will relax waves, I wanna know: how do I prevent this? Will Amla completely cancel out henna's relaxing properties? How much amla will be necesary for 100-150 grams henna? Will it affect the henna color (assuming I have no intention of using indigo and I want red hair) and if so, how? I plan to do about four henna sessions to get the color I want, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

-Stella

Carrie
Re: Just when I thought I had figured it out...

Since I've heard that henna will relax waves, I wanna know: how do I prevent this? Will Amla completely cancel out henna's relaxing properties?

• Maybe. Henna doesn't relax curl for everyone; for some it increases it. Amla helps with the loosening amazingly for some, but not for everyone. Here's a link to a poll on LHC forum about whether henna affects curls/waves for different types of hair (type 1 is straight, type 4 is tightest curls):
  • http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1871

How much amla will be necesary for 100-150 grams henna?

• 25-30 gm amla

Will it affect the henna color (assuming I have no intention of using indigo and I want red hair) and if so, how?

I plan to do about four henna sessions to get the color I want, if that makes a difference.

• I hope you'll take this slowly so you don't go darker than you want! It will take 4-7 days for each application to oxidize somewhat and show you where you're really at with the color.
ACWN

You would want about 25 grams for every 100 grams of henna. Alma itself has no dye, but can tone down the orange of henna - pushing it a little towards the brown shades, but its very minimal and you may not even notice it. You may want to strand test just to see.

If I recall right, you can apply amla alone and get no color change but it should help perk yoru wave back up. Someone please correct me if I'm remembering this wrong, but I could swear someone reported this.

StellaLina7

That would be cool, so I can henna till I get my desired color and then apply amla at the end to perk my lovely waves back up? 

ACWN

I think so... but I could be wrong. It certainly wont hurt anything to try it.

Carrie

Yes, it's fine to do amla separately. Mix it thin, let it sit 15 minutes, and apply for about 15 minutes or so.

ACWN

But will it perk her wave back up if henna straightens it?

Carrie

It had that sort of effect for me - I just have slight wave but henna x4 had made my hair heavy and lank and very straight - amla helped get rid of that.

StellaLina7

Ooh, I hope so. 

But which would be better? Putting the amla into my henna or henna'ing completely and then using amla afterwards?

Seriously, I will cry if I lose my natural wave permanently because of henna. I'm going to think it over for a little while, so I'm sure as to whether or not I wanna take the risk.

ACWN

I would suggest strand testing henna with amla and with out in it to see if you get a noticable color difference as amla can make the henna a little less orange/more brown. Strand test, then let them sit a week before you really look at them and decide. Just remember to label them.

If you cant see any real difference, go ahead and put the amla in the henna. You can either use the amla as your acid (mix with distilled water, let sit for about 12 hours) or after dye release you can mix the amla into a paste and mix it into your ready to go henna - the effect would be the same either way on that.

Carrie

I did both - I used amla by itself, and when I saw how it added body and took away the stringiness, I started adding it to my mixes routinely.