How do you freeze your henna for body art?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Candice
How do you freeze your henna for body art?

Looked back thru this forum, even searched the site.  Found quite a bit on freezing henna for hair, but found nothing on freezing pre-made cones.  I imagine a zip-lock type bag would work, is there anything else I need to know?  I use cellophane cones.  If someone has posted on this, I didn't find it!  I have a batch of cones all made, but sure don't want to blow freezing them, they're Rajasthani Twilight!

Mani
Re: How do you freeze your henna for body art?

I toss them into an empty (plastic) coffee can in my freezer.  Any air-tight container will do, though.  I use the coffee can because it is big and I do large batches at a time, that way I don't have a bunch of little baggies floating around in the deep recesses of the freezer.  Just putting them in a zip-top bag will be fine, too.

Jen

I just use zipper sealed bags. If you take the extra step of putting the bag into a coffee can or tupperware container you don't run the risk of everything in your freezer smelling/tasting like terps. No one likes cajeput flavored icecream!!

Blurberrybuzz

I use color coded plastic photo holders and color coded pencil holders.  I usually pick these up during back to school when they're all on sale.   They seal and it's easy for me to tell which henna I'm grabbing.

Hennacat
admin

I find that the tape on my cones 'melts' in the freezer - does anyone else find that? I've started to decant it into carrot bags so it is all ready for putting into fresh cones - or just going straight on to my hair when I have an impulsive 'need to henna my hair' moment!

Jen

It depends on the tape! Lots of people talk about using 3M red labeled tape. I use the super discount $0.60 a roll stuff from walmart and it works great. Its on a red roll with a yellow sticker in the middle that says "jumbo roll." Its 1200 inches. Its way more economical than the 3m, but works just as well.

Librarian

Hey all, I'm new :) Is it possible to freeze the paste in the jacquard bottles, if I put a lid on it and placed it in a ziplock bag?  Then I could just get it out of the freezer, thaw it on the bench and it'd be ready to go (theoretically).

Jen

I do that with my cones! Yes, it should work just great. Make sure you put the tips somewhere you won't loose them though!

That's actually how I learned to use cones... misplaced my tips and didn't realize it until I was on my way to a gig... no jacqard tips to be found locally so I just had to learn to make and use cones! Sorry to roll OT a bit there!

Librarian

Great :) What about re-freezing henna paste? If I were to freeze, thaw, use and then re-freeze the remaining paste would that diminish the dye quality at all?

Jen

Eventually. I make it a habit to use paste only for myself or for crafts after its been thawed twice. Also keep in mind the total amount of time paste has spend not frozen. Paste can live a few days (maybe a week) in cool or room temp conditions. If your paste has been out of the freezer 24 hours or more total, you should start to expect a decrease in color.