Images Showing Henna Readiness Test Colour

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shivali
Images Showing Henna Readiness Test Colour

Hi,

I'm struggling trying to figure what colour = ready.  I found this pic:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/littleredhenna/4583985263/.  Is that the orange I should be looking for?  It's a lot more helpful to have images than descriptions of the tone.  Thanks!

ACWN
Re: Images Showing Henna Readiness Test Colour

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s258/Karya_Saiyan/Henna%20and%20hair/hennastain3.jpg - or slightly darker/more orange.

Cheers. :) Those others are terped and left on a long time. Terps are best for skin, not for hair. They arent going to give a good result cause it makes the stain darker.

Jen

But we are talking terped paste here ACWN! It performs a little differently than hair henna, even in brief skin tests.

If you're terping your paste before the skin test, I would hope to see a color close to, or like the one under her pinky after a test of 5-10 minutes. It should actually be nearly as bright as the first paste off moments of henna left on for a full 4-8 hours! It just fades away over the next day or two instead of getting darker.

ACWN

Yeah, my bad! I checked the location when I posted and I thought it said hair. Disregard ny post!!

Shivali

Jen to the rescue again!  :-)

So, would you say that hair and unterped BAQ henna would have a similar result, all other variables constant? 

I haven't achieved such an intense colour yet, but was only leaving it on for 5 minutes, at most.  I think I missed my window with the current batch of terped Raj.  10 minutes brought an orange between the photo in my link and the one in ACWN's.  I used Raj (not Twilight - still waiting for that shippment to be released from Homeland Security), sugar, lemon juice, then terped at around 14-15 hours.  But when I tested it, I wasn't noticing a deep colour, even after repeated checks.  So, I let it sit over night.  It's brighter now, but not as deep and rich as the one of Little Red Henna's.  So, I've either missed the peak or it's coming up, I assume.  Weird thing is, I think it's been over 2 days now. I really do need to write this stuff down, I guess!  The Jamila, which is unterped, had almost as much colour after even longer (approx. 2 1/2 days).  So I added about 1/4tsp tea tree + geranium essential oil and plan on checking it in an hour. 

I'm starting to feel like I don't know what I'm doing.  It would probably be prudent for beginners to have a skin map to start out.  ...sorta like this one:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/blurberrybuzz/4333886008/ except rather than different hennas, mark the time of one paste (exact same mixture and treatment).  ..and take pictures for the record, even.  If I do that, I'll share my results.

What do people who've been at this for a while do when they get a new batch?  For instance, what did you do when first trying out the Jamila 2011 batch?  I'm guessing it would take time even for "old hands" to find its peak.  Right?

One more thing I've been considering - hand soaps and lotions could really impede absorption.  I wash my hands with Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Castille soap.  Maybe it leaves a residue?  Also, since it's so dry here, I'm always moisturizing my hands - so much so that it becomes unconscious.  So, it's a new awarness for me to remember not to moisturize after washing when I'm going to henna.

As always, thanks in advance!

Catherine