Storing Leftover Powder

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shivali
Storing Leftover Powder

Hi,  Me again!

How do people here store their extra henna powder?  Freezer?  Pantry?  And, in what container/s?

I see on the how-to page we are advised to store henna in the freezer.  However, I'm seeing varying opinions regarding this.  Several people have said that taking the henna out of the freezer repeatedly (for those of us who use it in small quantities) increases the moisture content.  I've also heard the idea of putting it in a paper bag or something to absorb the moisture and putting that in whatever air-tight container of your choice will help guard against freezer burn. I've read that it would be best to mix it all at once and freeze it in cones, but I'm still getting a feel for proper mixing and don't want to freeze my paste yet.

Right now I have mine in its original bag with a rubber band around it in 2 ziploc bags in the freezer.  Does this sound like a good enough environment for maintaining quality henna?

Thanks in advance again!!

Jen
Re: Storing Leftover Powder

I don't store henna powder in the freezer unless its a really good 'vintage' and I know I want to hoard it for years to come. Otherwise, it keeps just fine in a cupboard. Once the packages are open (and I'd never put open packages in the freezer due to the moisture thing -just sealed ones!) I keep leftovers in zipper sealed plastic baggs, being careful to squeeze out as much air as I can before sealing the zipper. 

Shivali

Sorry - I meant 'opened' leftover powder.  Yeah, when I take it out of the freezer, there's a ton of condensation on the bags -- all of them, not just the outer, but the innermost, as well.  So, I'm seeing the wisdom in keeping the temperature constant.  We live in a brick house and the kitchen side gets baked in the summer.  So perhaps our basement pantry would be better in the summer???  ...and the cupboard in the winter?  So, would you say the powder would maintain most of its colour for 6 months that way?  Or even more?

Jen

I think 6 months is a safe measure, if you can keep the moisture out and the temp fairly constant.

Shivali

Okay.  It's doubtful I'd keep any opened powder that long - I've been practicing almost every day.   But that's good to know.  Thanks so much for your thoughts!