Resources for Traditional Indian Designs?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shivali
Resources for Traditional Indian Designs?

Hi,

Does anyone know of some resources - preferrably books (I'm old-school), but I'll take what I can get - for traditional, not necessarily bridal, Indian mehandi designs?  I understand they were once used for many important occasions and had deep spiritual significance, the inherent aescthetics being merely a bonus, not the focus.

Thanks oodles!  :-)

Oh yeah - it doesn't have to be in English. 

Shivali
Re: Resources for Traditional Indian Designs?

For anyone who's interested, I just found Catherine Cartwright-Jones' ebook, "Henna, The Joyous Body Art" here:  http://www.tapdancinglizard.com/hjba/index.html.  What a beautifully compiled mix of designs!  I love how they're organized - by type of symbol (good luck e.g.), where to put them on the body, country/region, tradition and many more categories.  I found some great ones from India.

Still looking for more, though... !

Jen

Have you found this page? www.tapdancinglizard.com/ Lots of stuff there! 

I took a really great class on symbols in traditional henna patterns but I have NEVER seen that information available in print or on the internet, only in that class! My suggestion is to research symbols in Indian art and culture in general then go back and cross reference that to images of henna. In every culture that uses henna the patterns are mirrors of the designs that culture preferes in other arts, such as textiles, tiles, pottery, etc.

Shivali

Hi Jen,

I have seen that page and mentioned in my comment that one title has some of what I'm looking for.  The only other information on that page that I have found is the rangoli, which I'm already aware of.  My daughter and I sometimes make those outside our door. 

Interesting that you suggest textiles.  I collect salwar kameez and have some designs right here in my closet!!  And, if I look outside the realm of henna examples, I have some great books here.  I'm too disorganized to find all of them, but in case anyone else is looking for resources - 1) "Dhurries: History-Technique-Pattern-Identification" by Nada Chaldecott; 2) "Indian Folk Art" by Heinz Mode and Subodh Chandra.  And for more recent ones with heavy Persian influence, "Muraqqa': Imperial Mughal Albums from the Chester Beatty Library" by Elaine Wright. 

Wow, Jen, you've opened a whole world of possibilities now!  lol

I'll keep searching for traditional symbols & patterns and if I find a good henna resource, I'll post it here.

Thanks for the suggestions!