Henna Advice?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Araelyn
Henna Advice?

I'm new to henna, I've read about it and have been wanting to try it for a couple years now and just hadn't gotten around to buying the supplies. I feel a bit overwhelmed now at all the different additives I can choose to mix into my henna to get a good stain and right now I don't really have time to experiment much; I want to henna myself as part of my costume for the masquerade/costume party I'm going to July 4th. I'm wearing my bellydance costume and henna would really complete it and it sort of forces me to jump in and stop waiting on trying henna out. I'd like to begin regularly using henna.

I had a couple specific questions, but really anything you can tell me would be a lot of help. About how much henna (in grams as well as any other helpful measurement) does it take for each area of the body? Just feet, just hands, arms, legs, back, torso, etc?

I do have a tiny bit of henna but I don't think it's enough and it's probably gone bad..  I also have an applicator bottle with a tiny tip, some unidentified oil that came with a kit and is supposed to be mixed in, as well as usual stuff around the house for example: lemon juice, sugar, honey, coffee, water. I don't drink coffee, but have kept serveral small hotel packets in the fridge because I read somewhere that it can be used with henna to get a darker browner stain. (EDIT: I also have the following essential oils though half of these I know shouldn't be used on skin, sweet orange, lemon, lemon grass, lavender, tea tree, peppermint, grapefruit, clove, rosemary, and eucalyptus, and can get others if needed from a store by my workplace.)  Any recipes would be helpful, or just tips on additives or tool suggestions/techniques.

EDIT: I'm located in Western Washington if this helps. Weather for the next couple days: high of 64, low of 50  about 50% humidity. The apartment usually stays between 70 and 80 degrees this time of year.

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)
Re: Henna Advice?

my best advice it to order some premade paste and pay for express delivery! 

When you do make henna I suggest the KISS recipe for reliable results.

Sounds like a fun 4th of july

Araelyn

I don't know why I hadn't thought of buying premade paste. Lol. I've been beginning to panic about paste needing to sit for 12-48 hours and then having to let it sit for several more hours after applying. Can you recommend a premade paste?

I noticed most of you use cones, are they easier or better to use than applicator bottle in any way? or is it just preference? I have an applicator bottle similar to this: http://www.henname.net/bottlelg.jpg

Nene
If you are that straped for time why not use an aquarelle pencil to draw a henna on, or brown body paint? Then after your event you can buy a cone or start experimenting with henna :0) Have fun on the 4th, we get our party tomorrow up here
Araelyn

I was thinking of using my brown liquid eyeliner which I had planned to use on my face anyway since I don't think my boss would like it if my face was henna'd, but that could be really messy. I'm hoping I can get premade ancient red henna in time, but in case I can't, this evening I'm checking local stores for premade paste, even powder, and I'll look for the pencils and body paint too, I think the body paint is my best bet since it should be the easiest to find. Have to go to one of the places for bindis anyway. (: Thank you for the suggestion!

Have fun tomorrow! (:

Araelyn

One of the stores I checked had henna kits. It came with a tube of premixed henna and 3- 20g packets of powdered henna and supplies. Both are Shweta brand. I used some of the premixed henna on a small spot to test it. I think the paste is thicker and dryer than it should be, but I also didn't do anything to seal or wrap it. It dried fairly quickly and fell off, leaving a light stain. Later I mixed up the powder using the KISS recipe. It's keeping warm on a shelf out of the way. The consistancy looks much better than the premade paste. It should be finished by midnight tonight and ready to use tomorrow. I'm not sure how old/new the henna is and it wasn't kept in a freezer at the store I got it from, but a light stain will be better than painting designs with brown liquid eyeliner.

Has anyone else used Shweta henna before?

Maggie

Oops! I think maybe we weren't completely clear on the premade paste suggestion!! Whatever you do DO NOT use the paste you bought on your skin! I am pretty sure what the others were meaning by premade paste was to go to one of the many henna supply websites (hennacarvan, hennasooq etc) and buy their paste. This way you know you're using SAFE and reliable paste and not something that has God knows what in it. You have to be really careful when buying premade pastes, that's why most of us make our own because as Cathrine has been telling us not only can there be some really wicked (as in bad) chemicals in the cones you get at "ethnic" shops but they mostly have really high levels of lead in them too. I'd say body paint would be your best bet this time around.