Help!! First proper party!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Seryph
Help!! First proper party!
Need some advice, I've been asked to do Chaand Raat/ Eid al-Adha henna party this weekend for 25 students. They are after "proper Indian style designs". Roughly how much do people normally charge for this and what are appropriate size designs?
Jen
Re: Help!! First proper party!

This is really about YOUR market. What will these ladies pay? Often they expect to pay something like $3 a hand and expect to get a full palm for that! That's not reasonable. In my opinion the best way to go for these is to offer a strip that crosses the palm from wrist to the tip of the first finger for $5. The BEST thing would be to charge them hourly and expect to spend 2 or 3 hours at it.

Seryph

Thanks Jen. I'm waiting hear back now since I wasn't the only artist they've contacted, I am however the only white artist in Glasgow so I have a feeling I might lose out.

capecodmomma

As a photographer, I have been asked to "do" a group.  The customer usually says something like:  there will be 5-10 people.  So I work up a price for the higher number of customers.  BUT........ALWAYS extra people are there or just show up. The customer starts requesting additional photos or says something like, I didn't know they were coming.   I'm always glad to do it but that's how I make my living.  So.......draw up a contract with the amount of customers clearly stated. Then put a clause in there that for every ADDITIONAL person serviced outside of that number there will be a per head charge of "X."  That way you won't have to take a hit on the time you spend or the materials used.  In business, time IS money.  If it is clearly stated to your customer, bride or group, ahead of time, they will either say, of course, or not invite every friend they have ever had and put extra pressure on you.  By throwing extra people at you, you inevitably rush through the people you have and stay way longer than you planned.  You lose money and time.  Then everyone is upset and no one is happy.  The respect works both ways.  Respect the art AND respect the artisit.  I am fair and reasonable.  Everyone says they like how organized and professional I am.  There aren't any unanswered questions or hurt feelings.  Have a one page contract on your computer.  Print it out. Have the customer sign it.  Make a copy for yourself and go have some fun AND make some well earned money with everyone upfront and happy.  Easy peasy.  No angst.

Hennacat
admin

Hiya, are you Glasgow UK? I'm based in the UK and can give you a UK persepctive.....

Seryph

Yes I am in the UK. I did loose that gig they decided one of the girls would just buy some and do it that way.

I have been woring since then and I have got my pricing sorted now. Thanks guys