More Brown than Red?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nene
More Brown than Red?
Hey everyone, Any tips on what to add to get a browner stain? I have switched my henna to Jamila and no mix has given me a brown stain. So far I have very dark red/brick? Ive tried lemon alone, with tea, and different eo's... Would love more of a brown color for the summer. Thanks for any help:0)
Blurberrybuzz
Re: More Brown than Red?

What exactly is your recipe?  It's hard to trouble shoot without that info. 

My recipe is 2T henna powder, 2tsp fructose, 2tsp high quality essential oils.  I use 50-50 lavender and tea tree certified organic from Wyndmere. and last of all lemon juice.  Mix and let the henna sit until you achieve good dye release.  That is dependant on temperature.  24 hours at 80 degrees or 48 hours at 70 degrees. Thin it out to a nice pancake batter consistency, cone it up and go to town.  You'll have super lovely brown stains.  Jamila does seem to take 36-48 hours for the stain to mature, so give it time too.

Victoria

Nene
I use 100mg Henna and a couple spoons of sugar. Lemon juice to consistantcy of mashed potatoes. Sit overnight.. Takes that long fir dye release here. Add Eo's (tea tree and ecaltptus) let sit a few hours and use. After adding eos I freeze what I'm not using. I think ur right it is taking much longer for the stain to reach it's full color on this batch.Someone also mentioned that I may not have added enough EOs as I'm always worried that I'll get a batch of great stain that only lasts a few days then fades. The temps here are not easily controlled so that's always fun...
Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

I bet you will have better luck if you add your oil at the beginning when you add the sugar .

Perhaps it isn't in there long enough to do the job .

Nene

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try (maybe a test batch is in order soon) This is the stain I got. It is nice and dark (pic 24 hrs after paste removal) It looks as if it might get a bit darker... but its reddish...no big deal..but I do love brown with my skin tone...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ponniematin/4746842432/

AliciaW

My stains only come out very dark cocoa brown. I use Jamila, cajeput oil, lemon juice and sugar. I mix all four at once and let that sit overnight in my warm computer room. Yesterday I applied a design on the bottom of my hand and only let the paste sit on my skin for 3-4 hours. I had a very bright orange stain alraedy. In the morning it was very dark brown. Not a hint of red whatsoever. It reminds me of chocolate syrup, but darker.

glossgirl

I didn't realize it was possible to get a brown color without using indigo. Very interested in learning more about this-- can someone tell me, or direct me to some web links? I'm aiming for very dark brown, and I was planning to use 80% indigo+ 20% henna and then, if this doesn't get me dark enough, to add amla or even do a 2-step henndigo.

The dark brown is only for the clusters of gray roots that I have around my face; for the length, I'm playing with different henna +cassia mixes. I have Dark of the Moon Henna and some frozen Yemeni.

ETA: Oh, wait. This isn't the hair forum!!! It's body art! I wondered why people were adding all sorts of oils I'd never heard of.

Never mind!

Araelyn

I read somewhere that you can mix in some coffee instead of water or tea for a darker, browner stain. Has anyone tried this? Does it work?

Flavia@hennacaravan (not verified)

coffee and tea only work to stain fabrics, they will not do a thing for henna on the skin. 

IT might give you a caffeine jolt though

Nene
Ok so test batch is sitting on the counter... My hand now is brown... Kinda strange.. Started very red but today chocolate brown.. Yeah!! So seems this stuff takes 3 days to mature on my skin... Updates from others to come. Thank you all for the tips, it's got me back at the drawing board to make the ultimate stain :)
Nene
Horrible pic I know but 3 days later... Woot we have Brown!!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/ponniematin/4751108559/in/photostream/ I guess patience is required... Not used to stains taking 3 days to mature. Thanks all for ur advice... Test batch one is on my hand :0)