2 step henndigo not getting hair to black???

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
earthymamawitch
2 step henndigo not getting hair to black???

well i'm trying to dye my hair back to black that's been bleached out to blonde and dyed purple with special effects, which had then faded out to a weird pinkish purple. I don't want the bleach damage any longer (even tho I used the lhcf method of coconut oiling beforehand and it did help) nor do I want the roots and constant upkeep. my natural color is super dark brown. in my hairball test, I used mehandi's yemeni light henna first, mixed as per usual with chamomile tea, dye released and then left on the hair for 4 hours with heat and got a bozo orange with a slight pink overtone (probably from the sfx) washed, dried overnight and then this morning, applied mehandi's indigo, mixed with hot water and a pinch of salt and applied immediately. let process for an hour and a half and washed out, only to get a weird kinda gross light orangey brown that somehow also has greenish tones in the light. i reapplied indigo for another hour, with heat this time, and it darkened a tad bit but only a bit, *maybe* medium greenish orangish brown but still not anywhere near black. what the heck did I do wrong??? will it darken as it oxidizes or is that all i'm gonna get? would there be any benefit to doing a 1 step henndigo on top of the previous application to maybe deepen it, or another full 2 step? and would the end result be at all improved next time by using a higher dye content henna or leaving the indigo on longer or anything else? i know indigo does demise pretty quickly so wasnt sure if that would have any benefit... would there be any benefit to using a protein filler first? I've had years of experience with henna but this is throwing me for a loop and I'm wracking my brain for possible solutions here. I really want to go deep dark ravens wing black and this just isn't even cutting it, it's not even a dark mahogany brown much less black.

Jenn

Carrie
Re: 2 step henndigo not getting hair to black???

It may darken but I'd be surprised if it got as black as you want it.

I'm thinking the problem may be that your hair has too little keratin left after bleaching to hold onto the henna well, and without that, the indigo can't hold on well either. I'd do another henna and a higher dye content would be a good idea, then follow that with indigo again. I'd also use 25% amla in the henna paste to help the indigo step darken up.

One more thought - possibly your water with the indigo was too hot? Some indigo using people avoid hot water with their indigo and say their results are better with cold water. I've used warm water myself with good results. Try room temperature water. Do keep applying heat while it's on your head, though.

ohiadriana

I just recently wrote a post asking for advice on getting my copper highlights to match my dark brown/black hair. I've only colored my hair once, but I'm pretty sure bleach was used on my hair. The products I ordered are according to the advice I received to do a one step hendigo with 2 parts indigo and one part henna. Am I at risk for the same results? 

Thanks!

ACWN

Probably not, ohiadriana... usually its going from super dark hair to bleach blond and repeated damage from different chemical dyes that strips the keratin. You having done it only once, it should be fine. :)

But you can always strand test before hand to be sure - you probably should do that any way.

ohiadriana

Thanks again. I know you advised me to do a two step and strand test, which I'd still be willing to do, but I live in a tiny dorm...I don't even have a kitchen, so it's really difficult for me. XYZ advised me to do a one step hendigo (2:1) with amla so that I could darken my highlights safely without turning my hair pitch black. Would you mind looking at her instructions just to get a second opinion. I'd really appreciate it. 

ACWN

XYZ actually knows more about doing hennigos and the like than I do, I do believe, so you're probably better off following her advice :)

ohiadriana

Sounds good. I'll be sure to post pictures to the flickr forum