anyone used the raj twilight yet?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
desertholly
anyone used the raj twilight yet?

Want to buy some raj. twilight.  I went to mix up some henna last night and realized I was on my last two tablespoons of celebration!  : (    So I need more good henna.  Not sure whether to buy a half kilo, or make some serious room in my freezer and buy a whole kilo.  So, any reviews?  How does it drape?  Dye release window?  Cracking or flaking issues?  Photos after paste is off?  Thanks!

Jen
Re: anyone used the raj twilight yet?

Loving the twilight! Its pretty stringy, but not wicked. I feel like I can use it on its own without cutting it with Jamila. Lovely drape. I liked dye release after 24 hours, but I know I talked to a couple people who thought it was ready to rock at half that. I did have a little cracking, but I mixed it with precious little sugar because I wanted to see the natural stretch of it. I'm sure it would have been fine with a normal dose. I got rich, rusty, pumpkin when I took the paste off my palm. It ended up nearly eggplant on my palm and dark chocolate on my wrist by the 48 hour mark. No pics. I HATED what I made. I was actually really cranky that the color was so good because I didn't want to wear it very long.

CCartwrightJones
admin

I have two pictures of Twilight at http://www.mehandi.com/shop/purityskin/index.html .  One is a resist piece, and the other is straight application.  I went into both with a second five minute application.

The darkest color (otherwise known as damn near black) is just Twilight, plenty of terps, sprayed with Frozen stiff, left on overnight, and removed with steam.  I mixed with lemon juice and let one release for 12 hours, the other for 24 hours. The orangy tone is was done with two day old paste, left on for five minutes.

In both cases, the henna was brilliant red when I removed the paste, and the stain darkened quickly, going to black in 30 hours after paste removal.

This was a two ton shipment and there's some variation through the lot, so we asked our testing crew to test two bags each, taken from different parts of the shipment. 

Ancient Sunrise ® Rajasthani Twilight is stringy and very easy to work with. IIt's not over-stringy, so you can use it without mixing in anything else.  It doesn't crack when drying in this climate.

When you first mix it up, you might hear gritting.  This is not sand!  Laboratory microscopy showed that this is NOT SAND, but fragments of calcium oxalate crystals. Calcium oxalate is naturally produced by some henna plants.  Spinach, kiwi fruit and tea leaves also produce calcium oxalate. Calcium oxalate is natural and harmless in henna paste, and it may correlate with higher dye content henna.   The calcium oxalate dissolves in lemon juice and terps, so though you may hear gritting when you first mix up the henna,  your finished paste will be very smooth. 

If you love teeny weeny lines, run the paste through a stocking just to be sure.  As calcium oxalate dissolves, it leaves a little thickened area in the paste.  I didn't strain the paste, and I didn't need to, but in other batches, I've pinched out a few thick spots and an occasional scrap of leaf. 

So far, everyone's gotten amazing stains ... sometimes a little more than they were ready for!

Jen

I put my Twilight paste in a freezer bag and massaged out the thick spots. It was just a little neater and simpler than stocking-straining and got the job done as well.

ladytetsu

I LOVEEEEEEEE Twilight!  And no, not those cheesy movies - THIS stuff - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ladytetsu/6287609958/in/photostream.  That's 4 days old, btw - and she did dishes each day!

desertholly

Thanks Jen & Catherine. Saw the photos- beautiful! Will put in my order. : )

sitara

hi

I have just joined the forum as I am learning about henna after being Off the gamE so many years - what's this twilight rajasthani henna? is it a special crop grown or is it a spEcial supplier's mix? and how can I order some from the UK because thE shipping costs are WAY too much if I order from outside of UK

THANKYOU ALL!

CCartwrightJones
admin

I can state absolutely, based on my lab test results, that every shipment from every crop from every exporter is significantly different.  If your supplier isn't testing, you have no idea what you're getting.  If you puchase from mehandi.com you know eactly what you've got.  If not ..... well ...

ACWN

Sitara - Twilight is strictly a mehandi.com/Tap Dancing Lizard/Ancient Sunrise brand. You cannot get it any where else.

Blurberrybuzz

I'm almost through my 1/2 kilo of Twilight that I picked up in sept.   Now that it's colder in my house it's taking about 36 hours to dye release.  I have to strain it for it to work well for me.  It's easy peasy to pop it through a nylon sock.  Love the drape!  Love the color!  Love how long it's been lasting on me.

desertholly

been away from the forum forever, but wanted to check back in.  made a batch of the raj twilight, did a so-so design on my palm, got dark as anything and couldn't get rid of the darned thing for about 3 weeks, which is like a world record on my palms.   It's amazing.  Had no trouble with clogging or draping.  Used it on one client before her wedding- same batch that went on my hand.  no feedback yet, but she was pretty busy. 

Thanks for your input.