Skin Pigmentation

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shenna
Skin Pigmentation

Has anyone had any experience with henna on skin pigmentation.  I have a client who would like her hand henna but she is concerned with how the henna will look and if it will take. 

Thanks so much for your help!

-Shannon

Jen
Re: Skin Pigmentation

I'm not sure I understand the question. Everyone but albinos have skin pigmentation! Does she have a condition that alters pigmentation? 

Henna is a transluscent dye, so the color of the skin its applied to will effect the resulting color. Darker skin will stain darker, and lighter skin will stain lighter, but all skin will stain!

ACWN

To go with what Jen said... unless your client's skin is extremely dark, henna is going to stain her skin. Even so, it would stain... you just really wouldnt be able to see it. Something to keep in mind is that henna and its traditions comes from a culture and country where some of the people to tend to have skin tone that is naturally much darker than most Caucasians and henna stains their skin beautifully - something to point out to your client to reassure her. :)

Shenna
Re: Skin Pigmentation Leucoderma, also known as vitiligo,

Im sorry for the confusion I should have been clearer. From what I understand my client has dark skin with white spots on her hand.  I think its called leucoderma or vitiligo.

Thanks for your help

Eliz. R.

Oooo...I'm imagining a design with the light spots as the highlighted part of flower buds. Or the highlights in paisleys. I've sometimes used my own dark spots that way, but they're not really big or dark enough to be useful.

xyz

I have vitiligo and can tell you that henna will stain both the "normally" pigmented areas and those that have lost the melanin. My white patches are not as noticeable because the surrounding skin is not very dark and I avoid tanning at all costs...on me, henna designs turn out redder/rustier on the white patches, darker reddish brown on the pigmented skin.  Your friend might want to try a very small design to see if she likes the different tones--I think it's interesting to see how the color varies as it moves from one "shade" of skin to the next, and personally, hennaing makes me feel empowered since I've decided not shy away from something I love just because my skin is different. 

A note of caution:  some, but not all, people with vitiligo find that the depigmented patches are more sensitive to harsh things like detergents, acids, solvents, and fragances, so if you could try mixing the simplest of pastes, (not too much lemon, milder terps) that would be best. Also, the stain tends to last longer on the white patches, you can use that to your advantage as you place the design...I always ask to center the most beautiful parts over the larger white spot on my forearm so those lines remain as the distal ones fade. 

If you're close to this person and you deem it appropriate, would you kindly alert her that chemical/synthetic hair dyes could trigger the spread of depigmentation on people who suffer from the condition, but henna is generally considered safe to use as a haircoloring agent?  The following info was extracted from the Vitiligo Support page at  http://www.vitiligosupport.org/faq.cfm#item4

Is it safe for someone with vitiligo to use hair dyes or bleaches?
Experts recommend that if you have vitiligo, you should avoid hair colorings and bleaches. Chemicals in these products called Phenols may cause the onset or further spreading of vitiligo. Temporary hair colourings however, such as henna, which do not contain phenols or phenol derivatives, are generally accepted as safe. When in doubt, you should consult with your physician.

Good luck to both of you!

Jen

Thanks for that xyz! I appreciate you!